Bad ignter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad ignter

Okay, so I have narrowed my no spark problem down to a bad igniter. I am looking to replace it, are there any suggestions for a cheaper alternative? The Dealer is quoting me a price close to $400. Can I go with a different ignition system?

Alright, I just got off the phone with the local bike salvage. They have one there that works for $150. Should I get a used one, or a new one?

Comment

Dyna S baby. I just went through the same problems and I'm so glad I went the Dyna route. $120 (at http://www.z1enterprises.com/) replaces your signal generator and your igniter with one unit housed where the signal generator was. It's easy to install and I have a lot more peace of mind with this modern equipment, especially since it seems like the OEM ignition is prone to failure. I'm almost glad my igniter went out so I could get a Dyna.

Just figure out if you have the ND or KD ignition and whether you've got a stock machanical timing advance (if you open your timing cover and you see springs and weights, you've got one). The Dyna S model you choose depends on those two things.
      Last edited by Guest; 09-01-2006, 05:13 PM.

Comment

I was looking at the Z1 Enterprizes site, and they are not showing that unit for anything later than '81. I have the ND unit. I will have to see if I can't find one that is listed for my year bike.

Comment

Originally posted by steely View Post
          I was looking at the Z1 Enterprizes site, and they are not showing that unit for anything later than '81. I have the ND unit. I will have to see if I can't find one that is listed for my year bike.
          They didn't have a listing for my year either but it fit almost perfectly. Basically you go with the KD or ND regardless of year.

However, if you don't have a stock mechanical timing advance (check this first), and you have to find an advance from an older bike and retrofit it (also very easy once you find the part), I've heard you want to get the Dyna model that matches the year and ignition type of the mechanical advance you obtained. But maybe somebody more experienced in that process can comment more accurately on that (I already had a stock mech advance).

Comment

I will have to check for the mechanical timing advance when I get home this evening. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by steely View Post
              I will have to check for the mechanical timing advance when I get home this evening. Thanks for the input.
              Just pull the timing cover off, remove the signal generator plate, and it'll be obvious whether you've got springs and weights in there.

Comment

Based on the parts microfiche, they got rid of the springs and weights in '83, so I should have them. I will still check when I get home, though. Thanks for the advice.

Z1 enterprizes is out of them at the moment. I am just going to buy the used unit for now, and I will keep this in mind as a future upgrade when I get to it.
                Last edited by Guest; 09-01-2006, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X