blowing fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blowing fuse

I have a 1981 gs750. when I replaced my tail light cover. I also replaced the bulb with one of those new diode type. Is this just a coincidence that I'm now blowing the 10a fuse with the o/r to the light switch? I noticed that the main blew once, but one of the screws on the r/r holding it in place was very loose. since then only the 10a at the top of the box. I have 13.45 volts off the battery @2500 rpms. It's not much higher when higher rpms. wouldn't think that that would blow the fuse though. never has trouble starting either. the fuse is an intermittent thing. I drove it around for about an hour turning the lights on/ off blinkers, brights no problem. few hours later fuse blew when I got home. I've taken all connectors apart and cleaned. took apart the light switch and also checked ohms across wires in all positions. where to go from here?

Old bulb

I don't know if the new bulb would cause the problem but it seems to me that it would be a good idea to put the old bulb back in and see if that solves the problem. If it doesn't, then you'll know that the bulb isn't the issue. If it does, leave the old one in.:-D
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

yea, I know that's a common sense kinda thing, thanks. I've been doing more volt tests and getting some bad readings.

Comment

looks like my problem is in the stator wires. I'm looking for a way to reconnect the wires in the alternator cover. (and be safe) should I solder and heat shrink? would that be good enough, or is there something that I could coat the connections with?

Comment

Yes, soldering and heat shrinking will be fine.

(lots better than twisting them together and covering them with chewing gum :shock: :shock: )

Figured you needed some comic relief. Wiring problems become such a pita so darn fast...

Comment

ok. I was concerned about the oil in the cover.

Comment

Originally posted by i57chevy View Post
              ok. I was concerned about the oil in the cover.
              Nothing to worry about.

Comment

Working...
              X