Electrics- No problems Yet. Need Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrics- No problems Yet. Need Advice

OK, I have 2 GS850's. The electrical system on both is fine, everything works fine. My question is with all the troubles I've read about the charging systems, what is the root of all evel. What starts the dominos falling. Can I replace 1 part and prevent thing from going wrong in the first place?
    Thanks,

Bob.

17 years riding GS shafties (four 850's and now the 1100GK), and 200,000 miles. Only one charging system failure, and that was on my first 850 back in 1988 when the stator failed.

No charging or electrical problems since.

Reasons:
    1. Dumb luck. Can't ever dismiss that one, even if one makes his own luck, or at least gives it some shape and parameters.
    2. I keep battery charged at all times. Right now I have the Battery Tender hooked up to it. If I know the bike won't be used for a few days, it goes on the Tender. Starting the bike with a weak battery will make the stator and/or reg-rect work harder and longer.
    3. I live in the countryside, which means every time I start the bike, I ride it on country roads. Very little stop-and-go urban riding.
    4. I ride often, and ride for at least 20 miles each time I start it.
    5. I keep all the connections clean and secure. Any resistance in electrical connections translate into heat and eventually self-destruction.

Most importantly, ride and ride and ride, and enjoy. An idle GS is its own worst enemy.

I hate winter.

Nick

Comment

Ditto on what Nick says. If your bikes are prone to leaking oil (my 850 was) make sure to check it often. Lack of oil = overheating = fried stator. I suspect low oil for too long is what, more than anything else, toasted my stator.

Comment

Bob,

I'm relatively new to the world of Suzuki GS bikes and the GS Resources Forum. Based on what I've read in the Stator Papers on this website, and learned from the local motorcycle shop that has done some work on my bike, the principal underlying fundamental problem (did I get enough adjectives in this phrase) in the GS charging system, is that the stock Suzuki regulator (or regulator portion of the combined regulator/rectifier unit on most of the GS bikes) only regulates two of the three phases of electricity produced by the stator (each phase 120 degrees of full circle). When the stator produces electricity. the regulator only "accepts" enough to keep the battery charged and simultaneously provide enough juice for the lights, ignition spark, etc.
        The excess electricity that is produced by the stator at higher engine/stator rpm's that is "refused" by the regulator has to go somewhere or be converted to something. That somewhere and something is that excess electricity in the stator is converted to heat in the stator coils, and ultimately, after time, the coils get "fried" from the heat. So the bottom line is: the regulator is the problem, the fried stator is the symptom. The solution is to buy an aftermaket Electrex regulator/rectifier unit. See the link on this website. Wish I could afford one! They cost about $120, and my wife thinks groceries are more important!

Brion

Comment

Nick is the expert so go with his advise Only thing I would add is to add an extra ground wire from the regulator case ground to the (-) battery terminal. Use heavy wire.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. I bought a NOS reg/rec off ebay cause I couldn't pass up the price. I figured if that was the weak link I could put it on but maybe a little preventative maintenance is all I need to do. I did notice the plug in terminals are burn't blackish colored on the reg/rec so I don't know if this is a sign of trouble coming or not. I have already cleaned them and tightened them up.

Comment

I've owned an'83 850 for almost 20 years. I was warned years ago by a guy that was really into these bikes that the regulator-rectifier would probably go out at around 20k. Sure enough, just short of that, (around 19k), the rec bit the dust. I think that is indeed the weak link. Possibly if the bad rectifier is left in too long, the stator fries? I also read that after 1980 Suzuki improved the adhesive in the stator. If it's grey in color, it's one of the old ones, if it's copper colored, it's one of the improved ones.

Comment

Originally posted by gsfanatic
                I've owned an'83 850 for almost 20 years. I was warned years ago by a guy that was really into these bikes that the regulator-rectifier would probably go out at around 20k. Sure enough, just short of that, (around 19k), the rec bit the dust. I think that is indeed the weak link. Possibly if the bad rectifier is left in too long, the stator fries? I also read that after 1980 Suzuki improved the adhesive in the stator. If it's grey in color, it's one of the old ones, if it's copper colored, it's one of the improved ones.

So in your opinion if I were to put the new reg/rec on the bike it might prevent the problems from starting as others have offered also. 1 bike has 17,000 miles and the other has less than 6000 miles. Sounds like it might be a good idea to put it on the higher milage bike and be on the lookout for another as a spare. I'd like to take a trip in the spring but the idea of coming home, getting the trailer and hauling it back home doesn;t really appeal to me.

Comment

Originally posted by arveejay
                  Originally posted by gsfanatic

So in your opinion if I were to put the new reg/rec on the bike it might prevent the problems from starting as others have offered also. 1 bike has 17,000 miles and the other has less than 6000 miles. Sounds like it might be a good idea to put it on the higher milage bike and be on the lookout for another as a spare. I'd like to take a trip in the spring but the idea of coming home, getting the trailer and hauling it back home doesn;t really appeal to me.
                  Normally, I would be against replacing a part unless it has actually gone bad...but in your case...since you already have the rectifier..and with 17000 miles, I'd go for it. My trusty 850 has stranded me only once, and that was a rear tire blow out. Even when the rectifier went bad, it just wasn't keeping the battery charged very well. Replacing the rectifier was not fun. It's bolted to the underside of the battery box, and my battery box was rusted. I had to drill out the existing bolts, and the welded in nuts. Then find existing fasteners to match. yech. If the situation with the electrics really worries you (I think it's overblown), get a digital multimeter from autozone, about 20 bucks, and a Clymer manual. It's easy to test both the stator and rectifier.

Comment

Thanks for the continued advice. I bought a 550 new in 80 and an 850 new in 81. Had no trouble and after 20 years got back in GS's. Been reading here and got nervous. I've already had the battery boxes off both bikes, removed both reg/rec, sanded down to bare metal to improve contact points, added ground straps, cleaned all connections and tightened same. I'm just a little paranoid and would prevent problems than correct them.

Comment

I have also performed the stator pages test and found nothing wrong. Maybe a person should mount a gauge so that output voltage could be monitored on a regular basis. Would that put an unnecessary strain on the system?

Comment

Working...
                      X