Choke problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choke problem

I have a 79 GS850G. And for whatever reason, I can't get the choke to stay unless I pull it all the way out. So if I only want to half choke it or somethin, I can't, cause it just falls back down and kills the motor. It's pretty aggravating because I like to let it warm up while I'm getting ready(putting on my helmet, etc.). It will stay up just fine if I pull the choke all the way up, but if I leave it there, it idles at like 3000.

Any help?

Also, I did tighten that little thumb screw/nut or whatever you wanna call it that's under the black plastic cover that goes over the choke.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-03-2006, 01:06 AM.

I had the same problem but fixed it with the adjuster under the knob. I know you sid that you tried that but it took me a couple of times to get it right. It slightly pinches the stainless steel rod conected to the cable.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Acooljt View Post
      I have a 79 GS850G. And for whatever reason, I can't get the choke to stay unless I pull it all the way out. So if I only want to half choke it or somethin, I can't, cause it just falls back down and kills the motor. It's pretty aggravating because I like to let it warm up while I'm getting ready(putting on my helmet, etc.). It will stay up just fine if I pull the choke all the way up, but if I leave it there, it idles at like 3000.

Any help?

Also, I did tighten that little white thumb screw/nut or whatever you wanna call it that's under the black plastic cover that goes over the choke.
      Mine did that to me yesterday but all I did was spray wd-40 on the shaft where it enters the choke adjustment holder and it works great now.It is the one that goes down thru the handlebars is'nt it?
      Last edited by Guest; 09-02-2006, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Have you tried adding a thin washer (metal or nylon) between the screw on the bottom and the choke lever? It might just add enough tension to hold it in place without grabbing it too hard.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have not tried adding a washer. I will try the wd 40 idea and if that doesn't work, I will try the washer idea. But it's not fixed yet, so if anyone else has any ideas, please give em.

Also, yes, it is a choke that goes down through the handlebars.

Also, as a side note, where do you guys get parts for these bikes besides your local Suzuki dealer?

Comment

Alright, here's the update. I turned the knob all the way down and it still won't hold it, yes, that's right(perhaps caused by years of wear?).

Anyway, I tried your WD-40 idea, and yeah, as I expected, it didn't fix it. I'm not saying it was a bad idea, but putting a lubricant on something that you WANT to stick will not give you the results you want.:-D So yeah, the WD-40 idea only made the cable retract faster.

I didn't try the washer idea because I wasn't quite sure where you meant for me to put it. Where exactly do I put the washer?

Comment

He was reffering to the lever choke on the left handlebar switch.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Alright, here's the update. I turned the knob all the way down and it still won't hold it, yes, that's right(perhaps caused by years of wear?).

Anyway, I tried your WD-40 idea, and yeah, as I expected, it didn't fix it. I'm not saying it was a bad idea, but putting a lubricant on something that you WANT to stick will not give you the results you want.:-D So yeah, the WD-40 idea only made the cable retract faster.

I didn't try the washer idea because I wasn't quite sure where you meant for me to put it. Where exactly do I put the washer?
                Maybe you tightened the screw under the black plastic nut to tight.I would try backing it off and see what happens.If the cable retracted faster than there must have been some gunk in there to begin with.It just needs to be adjusted properly.The wd-40 did what it's suppose to do which was move it freely,the mechanism inside is what makes it grab and thats your problem
                Last edited by Guest; 09-03-2006, 09:54 AM.

Comment

I have not tried adding a washer. I will try the wd 40 idea and if that doesn't work, I will try the washer idea. But it's not fixed yet, so if anyone else has any ideas, please give em.

Also, yes, it is a choke that goes down through the handlebars.

Also, as a side note, where do you guys get parts for these bikes besides your local Suzuki dealer?
                  go to www.bikebandit.com and look it your parts breakdown there.

Comment

Alright guys, I'm still having this choke problem. The only time my choke will ever actually stick is when it's pulled all the way out, but nowhere in between.

PLEASE HELP!! It makes warming this thing up SUCH a hassle because I have to sit there and hold it, it makes me just want to kick this piece of sh*t on it's side.

I haven't tried the washer idea yet because I'm still not sure where he meant to actually put the washer.

Comment

I don't know how to fix it but I had an idea that might help curb your frustration for now. When you get the choke knob pulled to where you want it use a cloths pin or two under the knob to hold it in place.

Hope I helped.

Comment

Working...
                      X