Bolt and Nut Sizes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bolt and Nut Sizes.

Sorry if this has been asked before I've tried searching but cant refine the search due to the common words.

Anyhoo I was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction for some information.

I currently have a GSX750 S2 Katana on the road and am building another Katana project, I would like to use stainless steel bolts in the project and replace the ones in my running Kat with stainless as well.

So how do I find which bolts and nuts I need prior to the jobs, I have the fiches and service manual, but they dont seem to have the information?

Many Thanks

Two options:

a) Buy a kit off of ebay
    b) Working with a caliper, remove one bolt at a time, measure and record, then reinsert bolt.

If you go with (b), when you get your bolts, the first thing you'll want to do is group the bolts into individual bags based on where they will be used - it makes it a lot easier when you go to install them.

BTW, I've been very happy using boltdepot.com for this purpose.

- Tony

Comment

Use 316 stainless not 304...304 will turn gray and has some corrosion. Use Neverseize when you put the SS bolts in.
      Little personal experiance there.

Hap

Comment

If you have the fiche, most of the actual Suzuki part numbers tell you the size of the bolt or screw. For instance, 01500-06127 is the bolt that holds the upper mount of the air box to the frame on a 1982 GS1100G. Look at the second series in the part number. 06127 means it is a 6mm diameter by 12mm length bolt. For standard hardware, this holds true across the whole older GS line to the best of my knowledge.

Comment

Excellent, thank you very much.

Does this system work for bolts that are only partially threaded and does it cover nuts?

Edit

I think I've answered my own question

Partially threaded bolts seem to have an '0' at the fron for the number e.g. 01547-06404 is a 6 x 40 bolt but not threaded it's entire length. Although this doesn't hold true for all of them as I'm not sure what size the 09101-10018 bolt is supposed to be (It holds on the centre stand)

I think the second 2 numbers of the last group for the part number may be the diameter of the nut.
          08310-22108 is for a 10mm nut.

I thnik I will have to print off my fiches and spend a fun filled afternnoon with my calipers and an impact driver
          Last edited by Guest; 09-03-2006, 02:22 PM.

Comment

If you print off your fiche I would love a copy, PM me for an address and to work out payment.
            Standard parts like bolts and bearings have sizes/part number in the Suzuki part number, as shown previously. If it is special fastner, like a centre stand bolt; it is drilled for a split pin, it doesn't hold true.

Dink

Comment

At least some of the size info, is often embedded in the part number.

However, the reality of the machine in front of you trumps anything on the fiche. You might wish to verify things before placing all your faith in the fiche. Once in a while Suzuki (or a PO) made a change or substitution that's not on the fiche.

Order extras, too. I always order more than I need anyway just because it's so handy to have a decent assortment of zooty SS hardware around the garage.

A friend of mine stopped in a while back so we could replace the valve cover gasket on his greasy old Toyota pickup. Replacing the bolts with SS button heads was probably overkill, but they did look nice against the coating of oil on the rest of the engine.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
              X