No announcement yet.

82 GS1100E - Starter Clutch gear question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When sitting beside the bike, facing the shaft, when you grasp the top of the gear and try to pull it towards you, or push it away from you, towards the engine, it should stay firm.

The gear should move rotationally on the shaft, but that is the only motion/movement it should have.

If you are getting movement back and forth on the shaft, (towards and away from the engine) you must have play in the bearing, which could cause the noise you mention.

Even if it is not the source of the noise, if there is play in the bearings, replace them.

Originally posted by staschman View Post
    Hi Dink,

The 'ratchet' part of the gear works just fine. I'm trying to describe 'right and left' as a slight back and forth on the shaft. (Edit: I would call what you are describing as 'front to back'.)

When grabbing the top of the gear and pulling it to the left and right of the bike itself, there is a small amount of play there and I'm wondering if that is something that should be addressed. I hope I'm making sense.

Regards.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

This is probably not it but the starter motor cover/lid is thin making an annoying buzz related to the vibration of the engine when the two screws aren't tight. Sorta the lower left side of engine.
      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Hate to say it but a whirring noise coming from the bottom end sounds like a bearing to me. Probably a main. Good luck!

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Dink View Post
          When you removed the starter clutch did three rollers and springs fallout of the middle?? These rollers wear flat, replacements are available.
          You should not be able to turn the starter gear both ways, it should go right but should grab and turn the crank to the left.

Dink
          i need some of those rollers where to get them thanks

Comment

<< If you are getting movement back and forth on the shaft, (towards and away from the engine) you must have play in the bearing, which could cause the noise you mention.

Even if it is not the source of the noise, if there is play in the bearings, replace them >>

Thanks for the tip. I have replaced the bearings for the starter clutch gear and it did not make any difference, but I felt better about it.

Dink may be onto something . . . a different engine.

Comment

<< Get a long handled screwdriver and use it like a stethoscope, to narrow down exactly where it is comming from.
              From your description it is almost definetely crank related.If it isa crank bearing it is gonabe expensive, >>

Hi Dink, I've done that with a stethoscope and the noise is manifested all over, but towards the bottom of the motor. It is very hard to tell exactly as it seems the motor is acting as a megaphone all over. Having isolated the clutch and starter clutch from the mix, maybe it is the crank . . .

Comment

You said you replaced the cam chain tensioner guide, but did you replace the chain. They dont always stretch evenly. Try tightening the "knurled" knob on the tensioner while the motor is running and see if the sound changes.....BadBillyB

Comment

Working...
                X