hand falling asleep at throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hand falling asleep at throttle

Had this awesome ride this weekend. Took the bike up too michigan four hours up and four hours back on saturday. Then today went too see my sister who I havent seen in years at the dells. 2 hours down, rode round down there and 2 hours back.

But my throttle hand kept wanting too fall asleep from the vibrations.
    Have any of you expeirenced hand fatigue at the throttle due too vibrations on the bigger gs models. 1100 84 shaftie. Now on the gs 750 or the 650 kzs I own no vibration there. Any tricks besides the ball bearings in the handle bars or bbs. If I can cut down my hand fatigue then my bike is ready too take on going thru the states.

I have had too live with this for two years since I owned it. I just chalked it up too thats the way its going too be and just dealt with it.
    heres a picture of the setup if that helps

I got a Big Improvement in Handlebar Vibration When I put the New Dunlop 404s on this Spring. Good Gloves help as Well. A lot of Guys Swear By Throttle Rockers/Cramp Busters. I have a Throttle Rocker on the 850 But haven't taken over a 150 Mile ride with it Yet but I'm Sure it Won't Hurt.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

ill do google search for them tonight thanks.

Comment

Hijack here for a moment. How'd the seal work for you on the trip?

Comment

I like that blue :-D I borrowed a thottle rocker from Skip[ last year and I bought one when I got home.

It takes a bit of getting used to, but it saves my hands. I also have gel grips and I always wear gloves. Earl has stated many times that properly synced carbs will eliminate the Suzuki 3500rpm "buzz".

Comment

Throttle Rocker

Throttle Rockers have come up a number of times on the forum through the years. I put one on over 4 years ago, thinking I would use it now and then...I've never taken it off. They are so simple and work so well...give it a try!!:-D
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Real nice bike. Pre zukes had a cruise control built in. My 80 1100L has one and it saves me because I also get the numb fingers. Maybe you can retrofit one.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Sync those carbs, much less vibration. A throttle lock is a good thing too, lets you take that hand off for a break. Big foamy grips (my personal favorite), and gell gloves.

Comment

I agree with Clone on the throttle lock and the foamy grips. Vista has a couple models of throttle lock, they retail for about $12 or $35. The cheap one works sometimes, but I have had much better success with the more expensive one.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor View Post
                    Hijack here for a moment. How'd the seal work for you on the trip?
                    It worked great. I put on 500 miles with that fix and didnt feel much of anything. I know now how to change the seal matter of fact it came into tonight and I took the forks off too do it tomorrow.

My sister took me too the dells and had me do that extreme bungee jump thing extraction seat. Omg what a f***ing rush. I mean I never, ever scream, but when that sob let go and sling shot us about 500 above the post. It was better than sex with jay lo let me tell you. lol

And get this, the dude said you are going too have the best ride cause they just put on new cords a hour before. He was right. hehe
                    This website is for sale! extremeworld.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, extremeworld.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Took the bars off tonight and examined them the asshat welded a steel pipe in there. I cant add any bbs or anything. then he tapped it shut with a weld onto the bottom side. But goodnews is I found another set upstairs from the gs 850 that is still hollow. I am going too buy some big bbs and fill that pup up with those and then silicone the ends. I ordered up one of them throttle rockers I like it. As for the engine etc vibrating. I allread sync and merc balanced the carbs. after I jetted em. I think it more has too do with the welded pipe than anything. I use bbs before and it cuts em down pretty well.

Comment

Good luck. I have had no luck getting rid of vibration and my carbs are perfectly synched. My bars have about 10 lengths of vinyl covered steel wire in them, no help. Let me know how the BB's work out.
                        Currently bikeless
                        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                          Good luck. I have had no luck getting rid of vibration and my carbs are perfectly synched. My bars have about 10 lengths of vinyl covered steel wire in them, no help. Let me know how the BB's work out.
                          I've heard that using lead pellets instead of bb's works better. My 1150 had a bad buzz in the bars... both hands would go numb in about 5 minutes. After a good synch, new tires and a tight steering head nut, it's nice and smooth now.. just a slight tingle in the right hand. On my 1000, my right hand gets a little numb after about 20-30 minutes, and it's tuned perfect. I am considering some bar end weights like the ones that came stock on the 1150.
                          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

You guys seem to be adding weights to a system that probably should not need any. We have done some 600+ mile days this summer and my wife has never mentioned that her hands felt funny or went numb. I admit that we don't have stock bars on the bike, but they are similar. They are pull-back bars from a 1980 KZ1300B Touring model.

Start with the basics. Yes a carb sync is necessary, but before you do that, make sure the valves are adjusted properly. Once you know that they are right, do a compression check to make sure all the cylinders are pumping equally. Check your ignition timing just to be sure. NOW do your carb sync. Keep in mind that unless your carbs are REALLY out of sync, they only make it smoother at idle.

Example: if the throttles are open 2%, 2%, 5%, and 2% at idle, it is obvious that cylinder #3 is doing most of the work. At cruising speeds, they might be about 20%, 20%, 23%, and 20%. Still 3% more for #3, but it is not that much of a difference. Accellerating hard, they might be 70%, 70%, 73%, and 70%. Can you see how carb sync becomes less important at speed? Besides, as much as we would like them to, they don't all open at the same rate. When you have the gauges hooked up, run the engine speed up slowly and watch the balance change. I have found it best (for me) to sync them for idle and let the rest just take care of itself.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Some bikes just are buzzy, and there is nothing you can do about it. My 81 1100 is smooth as silk, but the 83 could numb your teeth.

If it's any consolation, all of the newer bikes I have ridden are buzzy too. The FZ1 is real buzzy, and the Sprint ST is buzzy at the bars. Just the nature of the beast sometimes. The throttle rocker is your friend.
                              Currently bikeless
                              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                              X