No announcement yet.

hand falling asleep at throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I put the superbike bars on my 750, the bars picked up a lot more vibration. I plan on trying this stuff, but probably not till next year.

http://www.barsnake.com/
    Last edited by jpaul; 09-07-2006, 11:53 AM.
    JP
    1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
    1992 Concours
    2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
    2007 FJR

Comment

I went with the throttle rockers on my 1100, and I'll never go back. They allow me to relax my grip and still keep pressure on the throttle. I also have one on the left side. They were worth every penny.

For the vibration though, my bars didn't settle down until I sync'ed the carbs. Vibe was so bad I couldn't see anything in my mirrors at 4000 rpm. Now it's smooth sailing.

By the way, Jpaul your barsnake link didn't work. Try this: http://www.barsnake.com/

I heard about barsnake, but never tried them. I wonder if anyone has?

Comment

A friend told me that filling the bars with silicone helps with the vibes.

BS or MacGyver brilliance?

Comment

'79 GS1000S w/superbike bars...bar end weights, gel grips, gel-palmed gloves.
          All that makes it just bearable..I think it's the bar's fault mostly. I did notice that it felt like an improvement when I put thin nylon washers in the clutch & brake lever pivots, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
            A friend told me that filling the bars with silicone helps with the vibes.

BS or MacGyver brilliance?
            The silicone should do the same thing as the barsnake. I've thought about it, just not sure if I want to mess up the handlebars if it doesn't work. Then again, handlebars are only $15-20.
            JP
            1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
            1992 Concours
            2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
            2007 FJR

Comment

\\/ BIG FOAMY GRIPS\\/ BIG FOAMY GRIPS
              \\/ BIG FOAMY GRIPS
              \\/ BIG FOAMY GRIPS
              Trust me on this you will not get numb hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Clone View Post
                \\/ BIG FOAMY GRIPS\\/ BIG FOAMY GRIPS
                \\/ BIG FOAMY GRIPS
                \\/ BIG FOAMY GRIPS
                Trust me on this you will not get numb hands.
                iLL WIll Press. Home of Foamy The Squirrel, Neurotically Yours, 4y-Records, Pum'Kin Guy and All sorts of stuff created by JiMathers

Comment

hehe i had some skulls that are foamy on there and they still fell asleep. Ok I got the forks done tonight and put the bbs in lastnight in the handlebars. I took it out tonight around the block. Believe it or not the mirrors didnt shake as bad. But how can that be a real test right? I mean I need too get that bad girl into 5 th gear and clock her at 75 before doing some real tests. I will post more as I find out if the fix fixed the vib\s.
                  Last edited by Guest; 09-09-2006, 02:38 PM.

Comment

first 50 miler test

Ok
                    wind gusts up too 45 mph temp is 67. I saw only one other bike and that was at a gas station on the road. So its pretty gusty out here today.

Fix.
                    I put on new handlebars, (some from an old gs 850). I filled them puppies with copper bbs. Then siliconed the ends shut. Reinstalled the new reseal on the front forks and added the proper amount of fork oil 10w. Added air then bled off too 25 psi.
                    Added throttle rocker to the throttle grip

First test without windshield no vibration in mirror. 3rd gear at 4,500 4th at 5,200.
                    No problems with that test lastnight. Went for a quick 40 around the town.

Today. I put on the windshiled, took her out and didnt let her get below 4,500 I wanted it too be in the high rpms. 65 in 4th. 5,200 rpms. 75 in 5th 5,500 rpms. I didn't have my hands go to sleep the whole time. I kept pushing the limits, Now mind it was windy so I had too not fight the bike. Which too me would make me hang on tighter. I did notice a new noise the bb/s vibrating in the bars. Sounds like a loose timing chain type sound in the lowers gears. Didn't noticed it at all in the higher ones.
                    So based on this assumption I would say the bbs and throttle rocker and the new bars fixed my vibration in the bike.

So if this answers a question I would say yes it works.
                    Now one thing I did notice was that the mirrors vibrate more. But I am assuming that is because of thier mounts. I will see if I can find some shock absober for the mirrors.

Comment

As far as the vibration in your hands I put a set of these on my bike and they helped immensly in that department. (Not to mention they look cool)

Comment

Working...
                      X