Question for 79GS1000 owners.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for 79GS1000 owners.

I have a 1979 GS 1000 E that is running very rich. Gas mileage sucks right now. I only average about 35 mpg.

What should the set screws on the carbs be set to (how many turns out)? I am just looking for an approx. setting so that I can start dialing in the carbs.

Is the intake/exhaust, stock? Air box lid still on if stock airbox?
    What jetting is in it now? Stock? Have you verified the jet needle e-clip positions? Is the bike otherwise tuned well and ready for jetting?
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I'm sorry for not putting that in the post.

It is a stock carb with the air pods instead of the air box. The bike runs really good, but it is also running very rich and has bad gas mileage. I was going to try adjusting the set screws on the carbs first to see if that was the issue, but I am not sure how many turns out they should be to start with. Once I know that I can fine tune it until it hopefully makes it so it isn't so rich on the gas.

Comment

Any idea if the jet needles are stock? Possible jet kit?
        35 mpg isn't that bad, depending on the way it's ridden. My '79 1000 with K&N pods, V&H pipe and 1085 piston kit gets about 37 city and lower 40'
        s on longer rides. But if you say it's rich, then it's rich.
        Keep in mind you can't accurately jet if the bike isn't tuned right.
        Good compression, valve clearances, ignition timing/quality spark, clean carbs/filters, carb set up correctly including float levels (.94") and good inner o-rings and manifold o-rings, carbs vacuum synched...
        Plug reads after throttle chops at 1/3 (jet needles) and full throttle (mains) would help if you can supply them. Minimal throttle position to see what the pilot circuit is doing.
        If your bike is in otherwise good tune, then I'm doubting you have the stock jet needles in there and be running rich. But still possible, considering you have the stock exhaust. Pods and a stock exhaust can be hard to jet for. Not a good match of parts. Let us know where the jet needle e-clips are set and the main and pilot jet sizes. No way to help if we don't know where we're at. Your stock jets are: 95 mains, jet needle e-clip in position 3/stock needles, 15 pilot jet.
        As for the pilot fuel screws (underneath), try 1 1/4 turn out from LIGHTLY seated for starters. Fine tuning will be necesary but this will get you in the ballpark. After setting them, set the 4 side air screws at 1 1/2 turns out and then adjust using the highest rpm method. Adjust them on a warmed up motor at 1,000 rpm's. Know how?
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
        X