GS550 Throttle hesitation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 Throttle hesitation

i just got done putting my bike back togehter, (1980 GS550), i changed an oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, exhaust gaskets, throttle cable, oil filter, oil and plugs, and took it for a test ride, and i have a really bad hesitation every time you hit the throttle, it feels like its running on two cylinders for a second or two and then all of a sudden it kicks back up to normal,i if your not accelerating at all (cruising) it does the same thing just not as bad. i didnt make any adjustments on anything, only thing im thinking is backwards plug wires or line on the fuel tank, any ideas anyone? or maybe its just a Multiple displacement engine, haha

Does the bike start and run fine at an idle? What all have you checked first? This sounds very similar to problems that I was having with my GS 650. Take a look at the thread labled Throttle Response, you can do a search for it...it may help you isolate some potential areas to key in on. If tconroy is reading, he has been a great help. Can't thank him enough!!!

Comment

the bikes never really idle'd right, haha, but i've always overlooked it, i checked the plug gap (i actually had a plug closed shut, not sure how this happenned but was all excited when i found it, but ended up not being the problem), checked to make sure the fuel lines we're clear, and thats about as far as i got, oh and batterys got 12.66 volts off and 13 something when running.

Comment

Check your air box for good seals. Your CV carbs are very sensitive to air box leaks. Be sure the filter is clean too.
        Does the bike idle nearly the same rpm when cold and completely warmed up?
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
        X