Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve clearance adjustments?

Hi,
    I'm a new bike operator and ended up with this wonderful GS850...a pleasure to drive. I just bought a manual, and being a gearhead, I've read up a bunch already on maintenance. What about this 4000mi valve clearance adjustment? Sounds rather often. Not since my 65 Mustang with solid lifters did I have to check clearance more. Should I be diligent about this? Engine sounds great.
    thanks for your comments
    Mark

Originally posted by mborzillo View Post
    Hi,
    I'm a new bike operator and ended up with this wonderful GS850...a pleasure to drive. I just bought a manual, and being a gearhead, I've read up a bunch already on maintenance. What about this 4000mi valve clearance adjustment? Sounds rather often. Not since my 65 Mustang with solid lifters did I have to check clearance more. Should I be diligent about this? Engine sounds great.
    thanks for your comments
    Mark
    Wow, I thought most of the GS intervals were 8k miles. 4k seems a bit often, I would have needed two in July alone!
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

If the bike is new to you, its a basic maintenance item that should be done right away. Proper valve clearance is essential for good compression and synchronization.

The valve clearances of course get TIGHTER as the components wear which is almost worse than being too loose....so check them.

4,000 miles seems a little too often, my understanding was that the manual said 7,500 miles. But if the bike is new to you, I'd do it right away.

Comment

Thanks for the input. The 4K interval is in the Clymer manual for this bike. I probably won't be riding much longer since winter's approaching...I'll be sure to check the clearances then.
        Mark

Comment

My manual sez 4,000 miles for the valves, 2,000 miles for the oil change. So I check mine every other oil change.

If I didn't whip it like a rented mule, I'd feel OK going to a longer interval. But the engine sees a lot of high-rpm running on the twisties and on the interstates on the way to the twisties.

I installed stainless button head bolts on the valve cover and tank hold down bolts and I use a lifetime silicone Real Gasket. All I need is my trusty long 4mm ball end t-handle allen wrench, and I'll have the valve cover off in less than 10 minutes. The gasket gets a quick wash in dish soap and warm water, a pat dry with paper towels, the valves get checked, and it'll be buttoned up in under 30 minutes, easy.

I end up changing one or two shims about every third or fourth valve check.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
          X