Carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb question

Please help , I just rebuilt my carbs and as soon as i hooked them up and put an auxilary fuel line (so i could sync them) the bike started right up. Great , but the bike is still burning really rich, every thing on the bike is were it is supposed to be, however I know that the vance and hines 4 to 1 makes the bike run lean but my bike is running rich and when it backfires it shoots flames out the back, Its cool but i would rather the bike ran normal. I heard there is a fuel adjustment screw somewhere on the carbs but I dont know where it is please help also if someone can give me some pointers on sync-ing the carbs that would help too. The bike is a gs 1100 year 81 ,,, I am in need of the gurus expertise to get my puppy back on the road after a long rebuild. Thanks in advance.

A long rebuild? Are the carbs the only thing you rebuilt?

Comment

Has the bike ever run properly??? Their is an air adjustment screw on the intake side of the carbs which will adjust the fuel mixture. It is covered with a plug. It is necessary to drill the plug out to access the screw. Be very carefull and drill slow, you only have to drill maybe 1/8-1/4 inch. I would sugest 1 1/2 to 2 turns out from lightly seated as a starting point. If the float level is to high it will also cause the bike to run rich. Check the intake boots for leaks also. You may also want to verify what it has for main jet size in relationship to stock jets

Comment

thanks for the help on that one, here is the situation in further detail that i think i didnt cover. The jets in the carb are stock jets i think its like 107. 5 and 45 but that part is covered cause i verified them with the factory jet numbers i just forgot the numbers. when putting the the carbs back in the bike is running rich as in the thing backfires like crazy (flames and all) this was after trying it today. I drilled out the plugs with the help of my friend and go figure he screwed up the top of the slot to unscrew the needle, so now i am going to extract it and buy a new one, now after I do that and put it all back, what height should the floats be and how do i go about measureing them and what part of the float do i use as the top when measuring (milimeters right?), and how do i know what carb is running rich and which isnt when adjusting the needles ? or do i turn all of the so they are the same number of turns? And do i sync them before or after i fix the richness problem, I dont know if i said before but they have a vance n hines 4 to 1 but everything else is stock. I didnt notice any leaks in the boots but again how do i check for that, I really need your help cause these carbs are kicking my but. Thank you very much.

Comment

Carb Question

Backfiring could be a valve adjustment problem too. That is, if the bike never ran previous to the problem you experince after rebuild. Valve clearance deminishes with wear, and if the bike sat for years without running and the top end was oil-starved on initial start-up, a LOT of wear could have occurred then. Result, ZERO valve clearance, so valves NOT closing all the way, resulting in backfire into carbs.

Jist a thought.....

Also check out the "Carb Rebuild" section on this website. It is terriffic, if I do say so myself....

Comment

Working...
          X