81 GS1100E Battery light on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS1100E Battery light on

I recently purchased a 1981 GS1100E and the battery light stays on at the check panel. The bike is charging well and has no sign of problem. It has 22000 miles and is relatively stock. Any thoughts?

The battery light is a level sensor. Unless you have a wire coming out of the middle of your battery top, the sensor isn't connected, and the light will stay on till you disconnect the bulb or it burns out.
    JP
    1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
    1992 Concours
    2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
    2007 FJR

Comment

Xmas Tree

My lights are like a Xmas tree. They come on when they want and go off. The bike runs great so I pay no real attention to them.

Comment

Originally posted by drewandkellie View Post
        I recently purchased a 1981 GS1100E and the battery light stays on at the check panel. The bike is charging well and has no sign of problem. It has 22000 miles and is relatively stock. Any thoughts?
        I had the same issue when I bought my '80 gs1100e. The PO replaced the battery, but didn't get one with the sensor. It sticks out the top of the battery. You'll see it right away when you pull the air filter box.

If you have the sensor and it's hooked up, check the battery for liquid level.

Comment

An alternative to removing the bulb is to connect the loose wire to a switched 12-volt source. The system will see voltage and turn off the light.

I just had an idea while typing this. :shock:
          Run a jumper wire from your tail light wire to the battery sensor. If your tail light fuse ever blows, the battery light will come on because it does not see power applied to it. \\/

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Run a jumper wire from your tail light wire to the battery sensor. If your tail light fuse ever blows, the battery light will come on because it does not see power applied to it. \\/
            nice, it's on the list

Comment

Run a jumper wire from your tail light wire to the battery sensor. If your tail light fuse ever blows, the battery light will come on because it does not see power applied to it.
              Why would you want to do this? Your '81 GS1100E check panel should already have a tail light failure indicator on it.

Comment

Working...
              X