Unbelievable!!..and fuel mixture screw questionin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unbelievable!!..and fuel mixture screw questionin

I'm the original owner of a 1983 gs 850L. I've had it for almost 20 years. After reading a tech article about removing the plugs over the mixture screws, I got curious. Sooo..I did. The 2 inboard carbs (2 and 3) were set at 2 turns out. Fine. That's pretty much acknowleged as being within spec. But I was shocked to find out that the outboard carbs (1 and 4), had the mixture screws all the way seated. It must have come from the factory that way. No wonder it took forever to warm up, and always idled a little funky. I backed them all out 2 1/4 turns, and now I can take it off the choke quicker. Idles better too. So my question is...has anyone else found there mixture screws turned all the way in from the factory? This seems like a shoddy way to lean a bike out to meet emission regs.

Cant say that I have even removed any of the plugs yet , but wow what a thing to find after all these years . It does give me a thought with a problem with my wifes bike though
    thanks
    Dink

Comment

I bought a 1980 GS1000L in Sept. and tore the carbs down in Oct.
      because the inside of the tank was all rusted out.
      The factory caps were still on the pilot screws and I drilled them out.
      Here's what I found.
      #1 out 1 5/8ths
      #2 out 3/4ths of a turn
      #3 out 3/4 ths of a turn
      #4 out 1 5/8ths

Adjusted all to 1 5/8ths
      I guess the little jap guy at the factory was having a bad day when
      my bike was built, he obviously wasn't paying very close attention.
      Peace
      Mo

Comment

It's very common for the inner and outer set to be adjusted (and sometimes jetted) differently. #2 and 3 cylinders run hotter because of less airflow and less surface area to dissipate heat.
        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by GS1197TX
          It's very common for the inner and outer set to be adjusted (and sometimes jetted) differently. #2 and 3 cylinders run hotter because of less airflow and less surface area to dissipate heat.
          Mike
          That makes sense, and I could understand some differences in the settings. But to have 2 of the pilot screws totally seated means 2 out of the 4 carbs were choked off at idle. Seems a bit extreme.

Comment

When i checked 3 of the 4 (the forth one my buddy stripped) they were set 3 to 4 whole turns out from being seated, maybe that is why it was running rich ( I dont know all this stuff is confusing me) , I heard there is an o ring that sits in that shaft that the needle screws in , is that true oh by the way i have a '81 gs 1100?

Comment

Originally posted by govprop2000
              When i checked 3 of the 4 (the forth one my buddy stripped) they were set 3 to 4 whole turns out from being seated, maybe that is why it was running rich ( I dont know all this stuff is confusing me) , I heard there is an o ring that sits in that shaft that the needle screws in , is that true oh by the way i have a '81 gs 1100?
              Most CV carbs run best at 2 to 2 1/2 turns out from seated. Anything over 3 turns out would usually be on the rich side. The screws effect idle to about 1/8 throttle.

Comment

Not real weird. On my 01 Rauder the front cylinder was at 3/4 and the rear was fully seated. Both are on 1 and 1/4 after rejetting and such. Suzuki must still continue the practice.

Comment

Working...
                X