Light questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light questions

I searched the forum but couldn’t find an answer for this.

The backlighting for the Speedometer on my bike has gone out. What type of bulb does it use and is it easily replaced by removing the back cover of the gauges?

Also the gear indicator “2” is out. Is that a replaceable bulb?

Yes, they are very easy to replace. Unscrew the back cover and you'll see wires running to rubber plugs on the back of the gauge which are the bulb holders. It can take a little pulling, but the plugs just pop out. Then it's just a matter of finding replacement bulbs - most autoparts stores carry them. I've run into two different types - the ones on the '78 are different than the ones on the '82. Don't know what yours takes.

Comment

Originally posted by ptm View Post
      Yes, they are very easy to replace. Unscrew the back cover and you'll see wires running to rubber plugs on the back of the gauge which are the bulb holders. It can take a little pulling, but the plugs just pop out. Then it's just a matter of finding replacement bulbs - most autoparts stores carry them. I've run into two different types - the ones on the '78 are different than the ones on the '82. Don't know what yours takes.
      Thanks. I'll pull the bulbs before going to the auto parts store.

Steve

Comment

Bulbs

When you replace them, you might consider Sylvania 3893 bulbs. They come 2 to a pack and cost about $2.25. They are made for European autos and are 4 watts rather than 3.4 watts so they are slightly brighter.

You'll notice that the bulb is a little larger but there is plenty of clearance for them in both the speedo and tach. Also, sometimes the rubber boots are hard to 'squish' back into the housing. A drop of oil is helpful.:-D
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
          When you replace them, you might consider Sylvania 3893 bulbs. They come 2 to a pack and cost about $2.25. They are made for European autos and are 4 watts rather than 3.4 watts so they are slightly brighter.

You'll notice that the bulb is a little larger but there is plenty of clearance for them in both the speedo and tach. Also, sometimes the rubber boots are hard to 'squish' back into the housing. A drop of oil is helpful.:-D
          Thanks for the two tips! Greatly appreciated.

Comment

Great!

I was happy to enLIGHTen you!:-D :-D :-D
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
              I was happy to enLIGHTen you!:-D :-D :-D
              You're just full of bright ideas\\/

Comment

And I thought we were talking about ways to drink Bud Lite! I wanted to clue Tony in to this thread so he could participate since he so enjoys Bud Lite!:-D :-D

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
                  And I thought we were talking about ways to drink Bud Lite! I wanted to clue Tony in to this thread so he could participate since he so enjoys Bud Lite!:-D :-D
                  Dan,

You've got the wrong forum. The "Less filling" thread is in the Appearance Mods Forum. After all we are talking about improving the riders appearance are we not?

Comment

Originally posted by hunter58 View Post
                    Dan,

You've got the wrong forum. The "Less filling" thread is in the Appearance Mods Forum. After all we are talking about improving the riders appearance are we not?
                    This may be true too........But I thought "less filling" and improving appearance via beer goggles might also be a "technical item".:-D

Comment

Working...
                    X