Custom Gs1100 Almost Done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Gs1100 Almost Done

I have 82 gs1100 thats near ready for the road , I have been fight with carb probs, I have been using ths seach for a week looking up anything that sounds like my troubles heres what I have

gs1100e new dyna coil , and wires and plugs , (from Z1)
    I was told that the battry was new ?
    I checked the pet cock and the vac line is fine and no gas in it
    fuel line is soild , there is no gas filter
    the vac line is connect in the right place
    I have a set of V&H HEADER/COLLECTOR NO BAFFLE
    CARBS ARE STOCK ,
    FOUR K&N STYLE AIR CLEANERS

NOW to get the bike to idle YOU MUST TURN THR CHOKE ON AND BE IN THE PRIME POSITION JUST FEW MINS then the bike pops and back fire
    then I move it over to GO POSTION and THE IT will idle and the header tube get hot as if all cyclinder are hitting

OPPS
    Last edited by Guest; 09-18-2006, 12:09 AM.

Sounds like you need a jet kit or at least raise the needles with a washer and raise the mains until you get the jet kit. Turn air/fuel mixture screws under aluminum cap or if they're removed counterclockwise 2 turns from fully seated as a starting point.

Are your stock main jets 107.5 or ? Probably need to go to at least 125 or 130. Maybe Keith will see this.

I cant remember what I had on my 1100 w'pods DJ 138 maybe which are smaller than Mikuni jet sizes.

I have many jets if you need some up to 135 size. I have 47.5 pilots too.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Dynojet stage3. Mikuni 47.5 pilot jets. Dynojet 132 main. Dynojet jet needle fifth notch down. Mikuni 170 pilot air jets. This setup works for my 1100 16 valve with K&N pods and 4-1 Kerker pipes.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I'M 100% sure the stock jetting is still being used , the carbs are bone stock . not sure what came stock from the factory.(brand or size) I have took this bike on because I always liked GS1100 , THE BAD THING IS THAT I
        never work on this type of bike , but with this site I have took this a stock beater and made what I think will be a nice street bike
        I have pics if anyone want to see the befor and after

I did the gsxr forks ,swap wheel , 7" over swing arm powdercoat
        mini gages , 530 chain swap other goodies

Comment

Originally posted by ROBERT G View Post
          I'M 100% sure the stock jetting is still being used , the carbs are bone stock . not sure what came stock from the factory.(brand or size) I have took this bike on because I always liked GS1100 , THE BAD THING IS THAT I
          never work on this type of bike , but with this site I have took this a stock beater and made what I think will be a nice street bike
          I have pics if anyone want to see the befor and after

I did the gsxr forks ,swap wheel , 7" over swing arm powdercoat
          mini gages , 530 chain swap other goodies
          Did you have the carbs "dipped" in cleaning solvent? It sounds like to me you have the common "clogged" pilot jet(s)

Comment

IS OFFAT THE CHOKEIT SPUTTRY ANS DIDBUT WHEN I REV IT A LITTEA LITTLE AND IT DIES
            Holy crap! what have you been drinking??
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

the carbs were not dipped the GUY said that he cleaned the carb but I could tell by the looks of the bike that it had been sitting

also it looks like the carb were painted black ,all black . not in the inlet . he must of taped that off .nit sure if this could of hurt the carbs????

well I would like to rejet the carbs and clean them anyway is this something
              I could handle or should i leave it to a shop???

Comment

If you're keeping the pods and the pipe the stock jetting wont work. You can do the jet kit easy, especially since you have pods.

Probably more frustrating fitting the carbs to a stock air box than installing a jet kit. Careful drilling the slide.

The kit will come with a drill bit. Check if there's any angle to the stock slide hole before drilling.

Another option would be get a stock airbox from one of the members here and richen the needle and main jet. And get really frustrated trying to fit it on.

You'll need those circlip pliers to get the clip out of the slide.
                GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

OK I GOT THE BIKE TO RUN ,and found that if I have the cock pick lever in GO but a little on the prime side it will stay running and it also warms up fast
                  I move the lever back to GO and kill the choke and things are ok , its harder to start if I don't go to prime 1st only if bike sits over night

I ask the local bike shop how much it would cost and the guy told me that he didn't think it was a good ideal to run pods and 4into one headers because a strong wind or ran would mess the tunning on the carbs
                  but for 250$ + parts we would do it

Comment

OK I GOT THE BIKE TO RUN ,and found that if I have the cock pick lever in GO but a little on the prime side it will stay running and it also warms up fast
                    I move the lever back to GO and kill the choke and things are ok , its harder to start if I don't go to prime 1st only if bike sits over night

I ask the local bike shop how much it would cost and the guy told me that he didn't think it was a good ideal to run pods and 4into one headers because a strong wind or ran would mess the tunning on the carbs
                    but for 250$ + parts we would do it
                    What? From personal experience that is not true. If you remove the vent lines and get the carbs jetted properly it will run like a champ.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

I have a gs 1100 84. threw on some 4 into 1.s rejetted with 120mm. left on the stock air box. No problems what so ever. Its a really strong running bike, that model always has been.

Comment

Chef,
                        What effect does removing the vent lines have?
                        Thanks.

Comment

When installing pods and a 4-1 exhaust you need more air flow. This also creates more air flow through the vent lines. For some reason the air starts to swirl creating a vortex which doesn't allow the carbs to vent properly. Thanks Keith!

Comment

Working...
                          X