Clutch spring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch spring question

My clutch slips occasionally when I nail the throttle above 6000 rpms. I figured I'd replace the friction plates and springs when winter finally goes away. My bike is an 850, and according to the Clymer manual, the stock springs are 40mm. Here's the rub. I got a good deal on a Vance and Hines clutch kit off e-bay. It has the friction plates, and 3 (supposedly) heavy duty springs. But these springs measure out at only about 37mm,. They are significantly shorter than stock springs. The wear limit on stock is 38mm. So then, I (stupidly), order some HD springs from J.C Whitney. These are made by EBC, and measure out at over 44mm, they are significantly longer than stock. So, my question is...which springs to use?? Or should I just hunt around for some spark plug washers?

The spring length is a factor, but the actual diameter of the wire plays a big part also. The longer (EBC) springs should work, but the coils could possibly bind when you pull the clutch in and not let it disengage completely.
    The shorter springs will probably work also..chances are, IF they're h.d. aftermarket they're a larger wire diameter and will be much stiffer than stock (will cramp your hand sitting at lights).
    I would try the EBC set 1st, if you don't like the way they work..try the other set.
    Mike

Comment

for street use I would only change 1/2 of the springs otherwise clutch pull can be excessive and my not release completly

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
        for street use I would only change 1/2 of the springs otherwise clutch pull can be excessive and my not release completly
        Well, if I go with the Vance & Hines springs, I don't have much choice anyway. They only give you 3. And on second inspecion, the metal on these springs is definitely thicker.

Comment

Working...
        X