Nooooo!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nooooo!!

I go out to start the bike up ('83 1100ED) and turn the key all lights nice and bright as always, throw in some choke, flip the "kill switch", haul in the clutch, press the starter. BANG!, CRAAAACK!,, puff of smoke (left side near exhaust).
    WTF!??!

Switch off, switch back on press starter, nothing but a nasty fizzing sound like battery being drained real quick!

Last time I rode was Sunday, not one squeak of trouble. Yesterday I (having lost my keys) tried a new key, all I did was turn the bike on then off again, did not attempt to start or anything else.

Any ideas?? I'm thinking, nay [-o< [-o< that it's just the starter?

possibly starter relay, thats over on the left side. but do check the relay and starter. fuses too.

Comment

BANG!, CRAAAACK!,,
      Plasterdog, your description sounds gruesome. But surely not terminal. Starter maybe. Or the solenoid. That fizzing sound may be an electrical short. I wonder if you blew any fuses.

I feel you pain, bro. Hope you can nail it down, and it's an easy fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
        Plasterdog, your description sounds gruesome. But surely not terminal. Starter maybe. Or the solenoid. That fizzing sound may be an electrical short. I wonder if you blew any fuses.

I feel you pain, bro. Hope you can nail it down, and it's an easy fix.
        Thanks, guys.
        That's where I'm going to start (no pun intended, well) and hopefully nail the problem later today. I'll keep you posted. By the way any of the Chitown guys who feel like coming over and playing...

Comment

Weren't you having some starter issues recently? That would be a good place to start.

Funny, but my BLUE '83 GS1100E starts right up, every time! \\/

Joe
          IBA# 24077
          '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
          '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
            Weren't you having some starter issues recently? That would be a good place to start.

Funny, but my BLUE '83 GS1100E starts right up, every time! \\/

Joe
            That makes me feel sooooooo much better, really it does. :-D
            Now get your butt up here and bring a starter/solenoid/relay etc. :-D

Comment

Ok, well this is too weird. :shock:
              I went to get the bike from it's garage to bring it to my studio...
              Anyway, I thought, I'll try it, see what happens, turn key, haul in clutch, press start, Vroommmm, no problem.

WTF?

My conclusion is...I don't freaking know. I'm going to pull the starter and check it out but...???

Comment

Pulled the starter, contacts were black as were brushes, everything else seemed to check out just fine. Cleaned, replaced, barely touched the start button and once again vroom, vroom.. I don't get it. What the he11 was the Bang/Crack and where did the puff of smoke come from (there was no burning electric smell) ?

Comment

Maybe one of those gremlins was hangin' out in the starter well. The BANG! CRACK! was the sound of his pointy little head getting crushed in the teeth!
                  Better get yourself a ride bell to keep them gremlins away!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
                    Maybe one of those gremlins was hangin' out in the starter well. The BANG! CRACK! was the sound of his pointy little head getting crushed in the teeth!
                    Better get yourself a ride bell to keep them gremlins away!
                    Nooooooo!

But secretly.

Hmmmmm! Who can I con into sending me one as they don't work unless it's a gift?

HINT.

Comment

How about this... I'll send you one if you send me one? Damn gremlins got me too right now.

Comment

Hmm im just starting to get my 1100E fixed after sitting in the garage for 7 years from a blown crackshaft(thanks dad), good to know it can fix its self, maybe if i just set all the engine parts on the table and turn around it will be good as new??

Comment

Having sat most of the day yesterday and all night, started up right away again this morning. I did not apply choke and she still fired up and ran. :shock:

I did notice that I had left the petcock on RES not FUEL. I'm wondering if somehow (again I'm guessing) there was an excess of fuel/vapor in either cylinder number one or two when I first fired up... ...but that doesn't explain the discharging sound and that there was not any power to the starter on the second attempt.

Comment

Working...
                          X