Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New clicking noise...valves?

Hey,

I have a 1980 GS550L and have recently started to hear a clicking noise (like putting a card in the back of your bicycle wheel or something) coming from the engine...the top I think. The noise is rpm related, as it clicks faster as the rpms increase. However, it only makes a noise when I am also accelerating or using the throttle. If I engine brake (even if it suddenly surges the rpms), there is no clicking.

I recently put a new air filter in and synched the carbs, but the noise didn't start coming until at least a week after I'd done any work on the bike, making me think that it wasn't something I did.

Is this likely to be due to the valves? Would it be hard to fix? Should I stop riding my bike until it's fixed, or is it safe to ride for now (mostly short distances at college)?

Thank you!
    --Tyler

Most likely valve noise. How's the bike running otherwise?
    I wouldn't worry about it unless its excessively loud.
    Just follow the recommended valve clearance
    adjustment interval (5k miles or so?).

Comment

Mine Too

Hey To Give You A Little Piece Of Mind. On My 650 You Can Here The Valves Ticking A Little, Don't Stress. If You Start Blowing Oil, Then Get Really Worried. Otherthan Taht Check Clearance And Ride On!! Oh They Have Been Making Noise For Over 5 Yrs And My Bike Runs Like New Still. Yet Take Any Advice From Old Heads You Can Get Though.

Comment

Since I tuned the bike up recently, it's been running the best ever. Holds idle nicely, spark plugs are all a nice color, good acceleration/power. There's an occasional slight pop/cough/backfire on deceleration.

The clicking noise isn't very loud, but it just worried me because it came on so suddenly. I'm currently at college, so I don't have the luxury of all the room and tools (and time) that I would have at home. Is checking the valve clearances and making any necessary adjustments a difficult task? I assume I'd need new gaskets. I'll have the bike at home in a year's time, but don't want to wait that long unless there's absolutely no harm in doing so.

Thanks!
        --Tyler

Comment

You might want to check the tach and speedo cable. Eliminate the easy stuff first. The speedo cable would be easy to check...do you hear the ticking while the bike is standing still? Disconnect the tach cable from the front of the engine. Still got the noise? Well, at least you got the easy stuff out of the way.

Just to ease your mind, I have a ticking noise on my 1100. Used to bug the hell out of me. I tried all of the above, and also checked my valve clearances. Everything was A-okay. So I put her back together and kept on riding. It's been a year now, and my engine is trouble free.

I'm not saying you shouldn't investigate. But if you find no cause, and the bike is otherwise running well, don't worry about it.

Comment

Working...
          X