Valve compression tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve compression tool

Any of you use a common tool or homemade tool to compress the valve springs? If so, let me know what you use. Any ideas or comments are welcome.

Use a proper tool for spring removal. Sears has a good one at a good price ($20? it's been a few years). I had to make an adapter by notching out an old 17mm socket.

Comment

I did a similar deal with a generic C-clamp type from Pep Boys. I cut the sides out of a piece of 3/4" steel pipe. and stuck it on the forked end of the clamp. I used tweezers and a little assembly grease to stick the retainers to the valve stems.

Good luck!

Comment

It's hard to explain, but simple and very fast to use. An old mechanic turned me on to the idea years ago and it works great if you have a drill press. I use a tool shaped like a tuning fork(he, the old mechanic, actually used a tuning fork), that fits on top of the valve retainer, chucked in the spindle of the drill press. Tilt the table or cylinder head to the correct angle and while depressing the spring with the "tuning fork" remove the keepers with some angled tweezers. Reverse procedure for assembly. Like I said hard to explain. :?

Comment

Working...
        X