Left muffler popping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Left muffler popping

OK, my left muffler is popping and it could be any number of reasons obviously, the problem is, tracking it down. I doubt it's the ignition as a new Dyna ignition was put on it before I bought the bike and all of the plugs look relatively ok. It could be the carbs having the wrong air/fuel mix(or possibly need synced?). Or, I was thinking, perhaps it's the muffler itself causing the problem as it is the original mufflers on the bike, perhaps it's clogged up?

I don't know. Tomorrow I plan on pulling the pipes off and seeing if it still does it.

Also, another problem I'm having is that the choke never full opens unless you reach down and turn it the last little bit. Like I'll push my choke cable all the way down, but it still stops at a certain point and you have to reach down to turn it all the way off. And yes, the return spring is connected(I was thinking perhaps it's losing tension, but it's no longer available so I'm stuck with the one I have).

Originally posted by Acooljt View Post
    OK, my left muffler is popping and it could be any number of reasons obviously, the problem is, tracking it down. I doubt it's the ignition as a new Dyna ignition was put on it before I bought the bike and all of the plugs look relatively ok. It could be the carbs having the wrong air/fuel mix(or possibly need synced?). Or, I was thinking, perhaps it's the muffler itself causing the problem as it is the original mufflers on the bike, perhaps it's clogged up?

I don't know. Tomorrow I plan on pulling the pipes off and seeing if it still does it.

Also, another problem I'm having is that the choke never full opens unless you reach down and turn it the last little bit. Like I'll push my choke cable all the way down, but it still stops at a certain point and you have to reach down to turn it all the way off. And yes, the return spring is connected(I was thinking perhaps it's losing tension, but it's no longer available so I'm stuck with the one I have).
    Poping on acceleration or decelleration?

Comment

[quote=

[/quote]

I wouldn't run your bike with the exhaust off! Its hard on your exhaust valves and with the exhaust off it changes the way your bike runs anyway. Scrap that idea.

Like the above post says, we need more info. Does it just pop when its warming up? Just off throttle, full throttle? Usually its a carburetion problem.

Comment

I can't say for sure if it does it off throttle, but I'm pretty sure. And then I'm positive that it does it on the throttle and at idle.

Also, any ideas on my choke problem?

Comment

choke problem

just put a little lube on it it may have a little corrosion build up on it the popping could also be a valve sticking

Comment

Where exactly should I put the lube? And what kind of lube are you talking about(10W30, 90? The list goes on).

Comment

Have your carbs been synced? A popping exhaust could come from one carb being out of sync.

Brad tt

Comment

Well, I don't know. The kid who owned the bike before me rebuilt the whole top-end, so naturally, I assumed he had them done when he put it back together, but now I'm having my doubts. I'm not gonna have them synced this year, it's nearing the end of the season so I'll just save my money and have it done early next year.

The choke problem is my main one. I can push the choke cable all the way down and it will just come off while the actual choke on the carbs stays slightly closed, no idea why. We were yanking on the choke knob to get it off(to no avail) so that we could fix a differnet choke problem, and we're wondering if we bent something inside one(or more) of the carbs which is making it stick like that. The only way to make it totally open is stick you hand down there and turn it and then it gets unstuck. Kind of a hassle and it makes getting that choke cable hard to get back on.

So pretty much all we know is the problem is not in the choke cable. Somewhere down by the motor, something is wrong.

Comment

Working...
                X