valve cover gasket??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve cover gasket??

1980 GS850G replaced gasket (valve cover) last week. Mechanic over tightened and broke off bolt. It's been raining all day so I thought I'd replaced(fix) the oil leak. I don't have another gasket. Is it okay to use the blue gasket stuff in a tube that walmart sells? I'm unsure what it's called but it's blue and in a aluminum tube.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-09-2006, 03:57 PM.

You need the gasket. Available at www.bikebandit.com

Comment

I bought a silicone valve/cam cover gasket from Real Gasket but haven't had a chance put it in yet (so I can't comment on quality). They come highly recommended on this forum, though.

The only place I've used gasket maker is the side timing cover, since it's not an oil control area anyway. Overall gasket maker in the tube does NOT come highly recommended here, from what I've read. I think I'd be hesitant to use it on the valve cover, although I suppose it would work if you were careful with your application.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.. Like I said it's been raing all day so I thought I'd fix the leaks. I guess if I have to wait for a gasket, I'll do the valves while it's all torn apart.. Maybe I'll start cleaning it up and making it look pretty\\/

Thanks again,

Comment

black gasket maker

the black gasket maker is alot better to use in oil areas or u can also use yellow weatherstrip glue

Comment

Originally posted by anvilman View Post
            the black gasket maker is alot better to use in oil areas or u can also use yellow weatherstrip glue

When ever you do something to your bike you should ask youself ahead of time, How hard will it be to undo this next time?. I can't imagine removing the cover next year to check valve clearances. You'll spend half a day removing it and cleaning up again.

Comment

Working...
            X