Help! GS650GL - removing oil filter cover studs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! GS650GL - removing oil filter cover studs

1982 Suzuki GS650GL; oil filter cover removed thanks to my dremel that cut through the nuts. Now that the cover is off, I can see that the 2 troublesome studs are, indeed, stripped. I need new studs.

Does anybody know if they are counter sunk and which way I need to twist them to get them out?

I tried twisting as normal to the left, but they are in there tight and I am afraid I'll break them off.

I'm toying with getting the bike towed as-is to my Suzuki dealer for pro installation of new studs. I've removed the nuts, so I assume they can easily (more so than me anyway) replace the studs.

Anybody know how many hours that job is rated at?

Or does anybody have a sure fire way for me to remove them? I can't put new nuts on double up as someone suggested becasue they are stripped too badly in one spot.

Thanks,
    Greg

They are normal threads, so turn them left to get them out. The first thing I would try is clamping a set of vicegrips on them. Clamp on to them as close to the engine as possible, and keep the vicegrips straight as you try to turn them. That should keep them from breaking off.

Comment

Thanks!
      Greg

Comment

While holding a steady pressure with those vice-grips, tap on the end of the stud with a small hammer....Make-shift impact driver....BadBillyB

Comment

Working...
        X