GS850 Starter circuit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 Starter circuit

Does anyone know how the starter circuit works on the 1980 GS850?

I see the following connections on the relay:
    Power in from battery
    Power out to starter motor
    Wire in from Start Button

When I push the start button nothing is happening, but if I short out the battery to the starter motor, it turns. I want to be able to determine if it is the relay or the switch but I don't know if the switch energizes or grounds out the relay.... and if it energized the relay, where does the power come into the switch from... :?

Any help or explaination is appreciated!

The wire that runs from the handlebar switch is a hot wire. It also runs through the switch on the clutch. The problem is most likely one of those two switches. Try taking them apart and cleaning them up. I've had the same problem before and the starter switch was the problem. The circuit the power for the starter relay is tied to also powers the ignitor and coils if it is anything like the circuit on my '85 700. Mine is an orange wire with a white tracer. You are pulling the clutch in when you try to start it aren't you? The clutch switch is normally open when the lever is out and closed when pulled in. You could just tie those two wires together if the switch is the problem.

Comment

on your bike the starter button sends power to energize the starter solinoid, it gets it's power from the middle fuse in the fuse box, it should have a orange with white stripe wire, if the diagram is wrong and your bike is gust like my 80 1000g the power goes through the shut off switch on the right handle bar before it goes to the switch.
      the diagram shows: battery-to-ignition switch to fuse-to starter button-to- solinoid

my bike is: battery to ignition switch to fuse to kill switch to starter button to solinoid

but then again, my bike is now wired differantly than stock.

Comment

I'll check the fuse, pull the clutch in harder and clean the connections. If that doesn't do it I will ohm out the circuit and see if I can find at what point it is failing.

Thanks for the info!!

Comment

Check and clean the clutch switch, check and clean the started button and switch and then relax. Before I go to the salvage yard tomorrow to look for your parts I'll scan the wiring diagram and email it to you.

Comment

Thanks Jay!!

Comment

Working...
            X