Just aired up froks - WOW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just aired up froks - WOW

Well I aired up the front forks yesterday.
    They were down at "0-1" psi.

I used an old PUMP for airing up "balls".
    -You know the one you lean over and put your feet on the bottom then pump up and down using your arms.

Anyhow - I put 20 lbs. in EACH .

I will tell you one thing.

Using that pump kicked my A**.
    I had to put the bottom of it on my thigh and pull down using my arms .
    It sucked.....
    But I think it will be fine. Did not get to ride it yesterday. Was going to ride her to work today , but it is supposed to be raining, right now....
    IT is hot and sunny - Those weather guys suck.....

20 pounds in each leg!!!!!!!!:shock: ?
    you need new springs! and or spacers!
    20 lbs is a lot of pressure.

Comment

What ????

They will take up to 35 .

The manual says put no more than 35 in them.

I wanted to get it a litle stiff.

Most guys have 15-20 in them anyhow

If it ends up being a lot I will take some out.

Comment

Yer gonna blow the seals, dude...:shock:
        FF is right, get some stiffer springs, or throw some spacers in there. :-D

Comment

Ok - I will ride it around the block tonight

- then I will drop the pressure

What do you think - 10-15 psi ?????

-

Comment

There should be a lable on one of the forks that tells you what the pressure should be. 20psi sounds awful high!

Comment

I run 0 with 20 weight oil.

Stiff is one thing, you want some rebound/compression over bumps.
              20 psi will have the front end bouncing in the air over bumps, uncontrolled bouncing
              Last edited by KGB; 09-11-2006, 05:00 PM. Reason: lost my thoughts..........
              Keith
              -------------------------------------------
              1980 GS1000S, blue and white
              2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

IIRC, the manual says 7 p.s.i. for the 1100E.....I put in 11 p.s.i. (with a much smaller pump than you speak of!)when the fork seals were replaced and liked it.....have not touched it in a couple years now....I have Progressive springs ready to go in, at which point I will run without any air.

Tony.
                '82 GS1100E

Comment

My GK says 11-14psi MAX

Comment

mine says max 36 then bleed off too what evers comfortable I settled on 20. and the wieght of the oil is 10 w. I dont see how you can blow new seals, old ones maybe. but then again it depends on many factors, bikes wieght, size and rider wieght and size

Comment

11 psi is what the factory calls for. If you want better fork performance, buy some Progressive springs. Install a home made pvc pre-load spacer that allows the forks to compress about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" when you sit on it. With the new springs you can run zero pressure if you wish.
                      20 psi is a bit too much in my opinion and it may make the seals weep.
                      I run Progressives on my '79 1000E/15 wt oil and I still run 10 psi. Forks work well.
                      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                      X