? on starters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

? on starters

Hello again all. I recently bought an 83 GS1100GK while cranking it over the starter stopped turning and all I got was a click. So I pulled the starter and it looks like the + brushes are totally toast. My question is when I pulled the starter apart there was a little bit of oil in it. Is this common? I know that it has an O ring around where it goes into the case, but couldn't see any type of seal on the inside to keep oil out of it. Have I missed something or is this a common occurance? After reading all of the old posts I can find no reference to this, but I did find a lot of useful other info. So I'm going to take it to a local alt, starter rebuilder to see if he can rebuild it for me. Thanks in advance for any info on this you long time GS owners or newbies like me can offer.

Re: ? on starters

Originally posted by dgeorge
    Hello again all. I recently bought an 83 GS1100GK while cranking it over the starter stopped turning and all I got was a click. So I pulled the starter and it looks like the + brushes are totally toast. My question is when I pulled the starter apart there was a little bit of oil in it. Is this common? I know that it has an O ring around where it goes into the case, but couldn't see any type of seal on the inside to keep oil out of it. Have I missed something or is this a common occurance? After reading all of the old posts I can find no reference to this, but I did find a lot of useful other info. So I'm going to take it to a local alt, starter rebuilder to see if he can rebuild it for me. Thanks in advance for any info on this you long time GS owners or newbies like me can offer.
    On my GS1100E there is a small seal that is on the starter that seals the starter shaft and there is an o-ring that seals the starter body. Both can be purchased at a local bearing supply house for much less than the Suzuki dealer and they probably have them in stock.

The o-ring is #10 on the drawing and the seal is a part of the "housing set, drive" which is #7 on the drawing. It is the right most component in that set.

It is VERY easy to rebuild on of these starters; you should do it yourself. Replace the seals and the brushes (those you have to get from the dealer), polish the commutator (the part the brushes ride on) with 600 grit emory cloth, clean everything with electrical cleaner, then reassemble the motor. If you can get a hold of a shop manual for the bike and a volt-ohm meter you can test the integrity of the rotor and poles but chances are that they are in good shape.

Hap

Comment

Thanks Hap, I overlooked the one on the shaft. I may try it myself if it is as easy as you say. Thanks again.

Comment

Be ready to bend over for the dealer when you buy the brushes...they will be expensive..around $40 I bet.

Hap

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call
          Be ready to bend over for the dealer when you buy the brushes...they will be expensive..around $40 I bet.

Hap
          Not specifically for GS starters but I've found generic brushes at a good hardware store that can be easily adapted. Another thougt...try a local shop that rebuilds electric motors and they may have brushes that would work.

Comment

This place should have your brushes. Just scroll down the page, most applications run $12 for a pair.

Comment

from an earlier post : subject was Starter Swap:

If you're looking for brushes:

Disclaimer: My starter(s) is/are Mitsuba 4 brush starter...there are others

I just swapped out the brushes on my two gs'.
              The brushes can be had from a Parts Unlimited dealer. p/n PUCSMB2.

I think the PU in the p/n is for parts unlimited. Price was approx. $13.00 for a set of 4 brushes. Interestingly, I did a net search and found that
              "Ricks Motorsport Electrics, INc" had the same brushes, but wanted $21.00 for a set. Guess what? When the parts came in from the dealer, there was a "Rick's Motorsport Electrics Inc" sticker on the box. First time ever that the dealer was cheaper than the aftermarket.

Pain in the rear to solder the new leads, but with some help, things went together.

Good Luck.

1982 gs1100g
              1982 gs1100gl

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                This place should have your brushes. Just scroll down the page, most applications run $12 for a pair.

http://www.cyclewareables.com/pages/...er%20brush.htm
                Thanks for the link. Billy, have you been checking out the Texas spring hill country thread under the Meeting Place forum?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan
                  Thanks for the link. Billy, have you been checking out the Texas spring hill country thread under the Meeting Place forum?
                  Yes, looks like the first week of April seems to be firming up. Shouldn't be a problem for me as long as I don't end up out on the road working. I've been pointing up a few things on the bike. I need to disassemble the carbs and do a good thorough cleaning. It sat for so long while I was doing a few conversions that the low speed circuits got gummed up. Looks like I'm going to end up having to dip them. Other than that all I need to do is polish up a couple of the motor covers and if I get around to it paint and mount the fairing. I still need the lower panels, but I'll probably just get a new set from Airtech. That's not a priority right now though. Still looking out for a crank and rods before I tear into the top end to install the Cosworths. I'll have to get the rockers welded up too for the cams I'm going to run. I'll probably let that go until next winter though.

Comment

Just rechecked the thread, last weekend in April. Still should work for me.

Comment

Billy, thank you very much for that link the place's around here want more for just the 2 + brushes then this place wants for the whole plate with all 4 brushes. I really appriciate info like this, parts are getting so expensive these days for anything, but it seems like bike parts have just gone through the roof around here.

Comment

Working...
                      X