Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just a quick question on engine rebuilding...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a quick question on engine rebuilding...

I am going to do a top end rebuild on my 83 GS850GL. Would it be easier if I remove the engine from the frame, or will I be okay to leave the engine on the frame.

If I do take it off, can one person handle the motor?

Re: Just a quick question on engine rebuilding...

Originally posted by brs127s
    I am going to do a top end rebuild on my 83 GS850GL. Would it be easier if I remove the engine from the frame, or will I be okay to leave the engine on the frame.

If I do take it off, can one person handle the motor?
    It is much easier to leave the motor in the frame. It would also take two people to pull and install the motor safely.

Hap

Comment

Thanks Hap...I just wasn't sure. I thought of removing the motor to gain a little more clearance. Plust I think this would allow me to take the valve cover off without removing the breather cover. That's one less gasket and a few more bucks to put towards something else. Although, I just replaced that gasket when I adjusted the valves. I coated it with Hylomar, so it may come off easily and I may be able to reuse it anyway.

thanks again.

Comment

Head and barrels can be easily removed in the frame. On the 1000 no need to separate the breather cover. Having done the valves over the last 20 years, accessibility in the frame is quite good.

Comment

Working...
        X