kEYS...............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kEYS...............

I got me a GS 1000 a few weeks ago and sent the carbs to the shop, ordered me the stuff to rebuild the front forks, and i have cleaned it up a good bit.i still have a few more things to get and a few more things to do before i ride it.i have no keys for it. it has been sitting for 10 years out of sight and out of mind and the guy i got it from lost the keys over the years........does anybody know the best way to get some keys for a bike this old? will i have to buy new switches? help me !!!!!!!

I would think if you get a blank from the dealer, unbolt the ignition and take it to any good locksmith, he could make you a key....

I did that with an old Austin Healey once...

HTH,
    Bob T.
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Yep. Do that. Or get the code from the back of the helmet lock.

Comment

Helmet lock is the best way, two hex-screws clean up the back plate and look for the itty-bitty (numbers usually three). Plus it' easier to take the helmet lock to a keysmith.

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
          I would think if you get a blank from the dealer, unbolt the ignition and take it to any good locksmith, he could make you a key....

I did that with an old Austin Healey once...

HTH,
          Bob T.
          I had an Austin Healy Sprite '64, twin carbs, 1300cc, straight-cut gear box, up-rated diff, wire knock-offs, damn, I miss that car.

Comment

Originally posted by Plasterdog View Post
            Helmet lock is the best way, two hex-screws clean up the back plate and look for the itty-bitty (numbers usually three). Plus it' easier to take the helmet lock to a keysmith.
            Those are hex bolts??
            Ha! The ones on my 750 were so rusted I thought they were some kind of one-way/can't remove/don't steal my helmet deal...
            In that case, these guys are correct...the helmet lock, get the number and order a key from the dealer.

Can't wait to get home and check that out.

Thanks guys,
            Bob T.

Comment

I had an Austin Healy Sprite '64, twin carbs, 1300cc, straight-cut gear box, up-rated diff, wire knock-offs, damn, I miss that car.
              Had a buddy into Sprites, fun cars...we went through a bunch of them....

I had '60 3000, my first car....
              And I had a 54 100-4 with a factory M kit that I took apart to restore in 1980..big mistake, when I sold it 4 years ago it was still apart in boxes....still got 10 times what I paid for it...but I wish I had finished it.
              And a BugEye Sprite I never got running.

And then there was the 2 Spitfires, the MGB, the TR4A, the Lotus Europa....can ya tell I like British cars?:-D

Bob T.

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                Had a buddy into Sprites, fun cars...we went through a bunch of them....

I had '60 3000, my first car....
                And I had a 54 100-4 with a factory M kit that I took apart to restore in 1980..big mistake, when I sold it 4 years ago it was still apart in boxes....still got 10 times what I paid for it...but I wish I had finished it.
                And a BugEye Sprite I never got running.

And then there was the 2 Spitfires, the MGB, the TR4A, the Lotus Europa....can ya tell I like British cars?:-D

Bob T.
                Ah the joys of Lucas Electornics. ARRRGGGGHHH -runs screaming from room!

"63 MG Midget, several minis -one a Cooper, a buddy of mine had 4A which he rebuilt from the ground up (about three years work) took it to the pub (rural Somerset-country lanes) had couple too many and almost killed himself and his girlfriend the car was totalllled!

Comment

Ah the joys of Lucas Electornics. ARRRGGGGHHH -runs screaming from room!

"63 MG Midget, several minis -one a Cooper, a buddy of mine had 4A which he rebuilt from the ground up (about three years work) took it to the pub (rural Somerset-country lanes) had couple too many and almost killed himself and his girlfriend the car was totalllled!
                  Maybe that's why the electronics on the GS seems pretty good to me...:-D

Always wanted a Mini-Cooper....

Comment

'twas a great car. Easy to work on to. The motor was like the GS motor -as long as the 'lectrics stayed dry- takes a licking and keeps on...wait that's Timex...keeps going and goin...:-D

Comment

Depending on how anal the shops in your area are, you may want to bring some proof it IS your bike (title, registration, etc). Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                      X