Oil drain plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil drain plug

Okay HELP. I have a 1980 GS 750 ET, the oil drain plug threads in the oil pan have stripped out :? What is the best way to fix this problem short of pulling the oil pan off and retapping it?? The pan has never leaked and dont wanna have to pull it . I've used a 1/2 inch self tapping plug and it has worked for the last 19 yrs, though no longer.

Any and alll input is welcomed.

thanks, bill

Rode myself for 6 years with one of those rubber temporary plugs if you can believe that. Last summer bit the bullet and pulled the pan for a heli-coil. Not a big job really, took about an hour and the thing is better than new. Couldn't come up with a quicker, eaiser fix myself.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Just pull the pan

I had that problem on my GS 1000, I half assed it for a month and dealt with a leaky plug, but then I bit the bullet and just pulled the pan, It is not hard to do, and my gasket sealed up nicely. That is what I would do, you can probably go get a new pan from a junk yard pretty easy.

Comment

Same thing happened to me. I used a rubber plug, then got paranoid about the possibility of it falling out, so I J.B. Welded over the rubber plug. How did I change the oil? I sucked it out with a hand pump. No fun. Eventually I found an internet salvage yard that had a used but like new oil pan + drain plug for twenty bucks. I still haven't put it on yet. I'm lazy, and the thought of removing 20 year old exhaust pipes on my 850 to install it makes me cringe. I think the salvage place was called "Demotorcycle", located in Ohio.

Comment

I used JB Weld to rebuild the threads. Works great (so far..........knock on wood ).

Comment

Working...
          X