I need help i think i am going to throw in the towel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help i think i am going to throw in the towel

Here is the great new addition to my problem, the fuel mixture screws came out of the three carbs but the fourth is all jacked up , i think i need a new carb for there is no threads inside for a needle to go let alone for the needle (or whats left of it, ) to come out. No this is what i saw on ebay and i was wondering can i part out my carb (jets and all onto this carb) is it compatable with my '81 gs 1100 here is the ad : Carbs came off 1985 GS700. Inside dimensions are 32mm on one side and 48mm on the other. May fit other years and styles. Seem to be in good shape. Selling as is. , can i put these carbs on my bike and still run (are they the same size), I am exhuasted and these carbs are ready to make there way to being a door stop. Please I need help if these carbs wont work does anyone know where i can get some with out going broke buying them. Thank you and all the parts to the carbs are good except that fuel mixture screw inlet (i.e carb is trash). Thank you for any help, if you care to email me out of ease my email is derekandtonya@earthlink.net

Don't give up yet! The carbs listed on Ebay will NOT fit your bike - your 1100 uses 34mm mikunis (they are identical to the ones on my bike). I'll have to look around and see if I can come up with any spares - I just might have another carb body that you can use (no promises). In the meantime get in touch with Mr. Reil mailto:robreil@motorcyclecarbs.com and explain to him your situation, he can probably help. 8)

Comment

Just checked Ebay and found a complete set of 34 mm carbs from an 83 1100 that need to be rebuilt (auction #187678219) - they'll go cheap and would supply you with the necessary replacement parts. Good Luck 8)

Comment

Parts for sale.

Look in the parts for sale forum, there is an 82 gs1100L being parted out.

Comment

Derek,

If I'm not mistaken those carbs came from me. The one idle mixture screw threads were mucked up on was done by the dealership about 17 years ago after I had an accident on the bike. The exhaust was replaced at that time due to damage. For what the stock exhaust cost I was able to go with a Kerker and get the jet kit for the same money. The damaged threads never effected performance though. I was able to get enough adjustment out of it to make the bike idle fine. And there is no reason they shouldn't work for you. 2mm size difference is not going to keep them from running right on your bike. The only difference you might notice is more bottom and mid range punch. It was common practice years ago to go to samller carbs just for that reason. And they will flow plenty of air for the top end. My bike would rev to 12,000 rpm with no stumble.

Mount them on your bike and if you are not happy I'll buy them back. Just do that for me, try them. The jet kit alone is worth more than I sold them for. Guys are always needing parts and I can seperate them if needed. If you end up not wanting them just round up all the parts I sent with them and get a shipping cost. I'll refund what you paid and the shipping.

Comment

Billy Ricks,

You are a class act to identify that the carbs might have come from you, then offer good advice and encouragement, and then further offer to take your stuff back, refund the purchase price and shipping cost too! Guys like you are the high-quality solid backbone of this website. Congratulations to you from me and probably from anyone else who saw your post.

Brion

Comment

Billy,

I have to echo his sentiment - There aren't many out there that are as honest (and knowledgeable) as you are 8)

Comment

I just don't want anyone to be unhappy with the extra parts I have lying around that I offer to them. Most of them are just gathering dust and have been for about 10 years since I did most of the upgrades I've done to my bike. I don't even run ads in the parts section. I just watch for someone in need and offer up what I have.

Comment

Derek,
                  By the way, that is only the idle mixture screw. It does still move enough for adjustment and unless you just start the bike and let it idle all day it's not a big deal. Above idle the slide needles and mains are what determines the mixture.

Comment

After reading another of Derek's posts, http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...pic.php?t=5767, I'm not so sure the carbs he is having trouble with are mine. He stated that he had a friend drill out the plugs over the idle jets and they mucked up the needle. If the set he is having trouble with are mine I will do what it takes to make him happy.

Comment

Yeah the carbs on my bike were not bought by anyone , they are the stock carbs on it. my buddy just happened to drill a little to far on the metal cap and went into the fuel adjustment needle. I was able to pull three of them with the tap and die set i bought but the fourth was hopeless leaving a damaged carb as a result (ie. no more threads for a screw to go into) so i am going to check that ebay listing that was noted and also the parts section but if anyone finds a set of carbs they can sell me for a '81 gs 1100 i will buy them but i prefer used or needed to be rebuilt ones cause three of my carbs are still good ( i think) and i will just swap out parts, however i do thank you gurus a lot cause i dont know what i would do without your knowledge. thanks again.

Comment

I've got 2 sets of carbs for an 80 gs1100. Both are in need of a rebuild and have been stting for years. I'm going to get rid of one set and keep the other until my project is running. I have no idea of the value of these things but I can't see charging you a bunch for them. You pay shipping and they are yours. If we ever ride together you owe me a beer - after the ride of course. PM me with your address.

Comment

After I put a couple of your threads together I realized they were your stock carbs. If I were you I'd look for a set of early GSX-R carbs. Some were flatslide CVs. Some were flatslide smoothbores with accelerator pumps. Here is a set on Ebay that would probably work well.

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny
                            I've got 2 sets of carbs for an 80 gs1100. Both are in need of a rebuild and have been stting for years. I'm going to get rid of one set and keep the other until my project is running. I have no idea of the value of these things but I can't see charging you a bunch for them. You pay shipping and they are yours. If we ever ride together you owe me a beer - after the ride of course. PM me with your address.
                            Derek,
                            There you go, can't beat that. Great gesture Steve. Sounds like just what you need. Just use the carb cleaning guide on the homepage and you should be set.

Comment

I am a strong believer in the fact that it helps to know people, i am soooo greatfull for your offer on the carbs, let me know how much you want or what shipping is. And by the way a person like you i will ride with any day. And if it is any constallation i live in vegas and can be a great tourgide when ever cruising into town. so think about a vacation over here one of these days and i expect to stay in touch.

Comment

Working...
                              X