X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pro Carb rebuild service??? (bit long)

Hello all,

Well, straight to the point:

Are there any recommended shops to have a complete carb rebuild (all 4) done? And what would be a ball park figure for this service?

For those interested, a little background about the bike/me:

This is my first post to this group. Hope it's in the right place. I am currently in the process of trying a bring back to life my friends 1982 GS1100E (16 valve) bike. He parked it over 10 years ago and has had it in storage ever since. I finally took on the challenge to get the bike running again. The bike ran perfectly when he decided to stop riding. He did the proper storage treatments to the bike, but 10 years is a long time. I have reconditioned the engine and all seems good in that area. I moved on to the carbs and I am having a he!! of a time with them. It seems like every kit I find is a partial one, etc, etc. At this point I just want to send them off and have them done professionally. Any recommendations???

Thanks all.

Regards,
    Steve

Normally, having your carbs "rebuilt" runs around $100 per carb (minimum, depending on who does it!!). What kind of problems are you having - exactly 8)

Comment

Originally posted by shaftzuki
      Normally, having your carbs "rebuilt" runs around $100 per carb (minimum, depending on who does it!!). What kind of problems are you having - exactly 8)
      Well, I took off one carb and started in on just it. I got the top off with medium difficulty (aluminum and steel love'n each other). Next I got the bottom off without too much effort. Then I tried to remove the (I don't know the technical term for it) little plunger that connects to that rod you can pull out when starting the bike. No go. Got a little too forceful with it. I didn't break it, just mangled it. I realize I should have bought a gallon can of carb cleaner and let it soak for a few days. I just don't seem have the will to work on carbs like I do on engines. On top of that, I can't seem to find all the parts I need for a complete rebuild. So, I gave up and decided to have someone who has more experience with is area to do the work.

Comment

Now you have to make a choice - there are plenty of folks involved with this website have been through their carbs (many times) and will gladly share their sage advice, but, rebuilding carbs takes a lot of patience and a lot of time. If your willing, we will help and if you'd still like to send them off, we can recommend a couple of good sources as well - It's your call 8)

Comment

Thanks shaftzuki. Thanks for the offer to walk me through it. I sure there will be other things I will be asking this board about. At this point, I just want to have them done by a good carb rebuilder. So any (good) recommendation would be great.

Thanks again.

Steve

Comment

I suggest you get in touch with Mr. Rob Reil - he's been in the carb business for years - robreil@motorcyclecarbs.com - if you visit his website, you'll find out about the process, timing, costs etc. He does some incredible work with carbs 8)

Comment

Steve, keep an eye on the boards - all of the Texas members are planning another ride this spring, probably in or around the San Marcos area. We held one last October, and even though it rained (most of time) - it was a blast 8)

Comment

Thanks Mark. I've just been on this board for a few days and I can tell I'm going to learn a lot from it's members.

Thanks again,
                Steve

Comment

Thanks for the plug Mark.

Steve. Give us a call. We got your back and you will be happy. We guarantee it.

Comment

Originally posted by RobReil
                    Thanks for the plug Mark.

Steve. Give us a call. We got your back and you will be happy. We guarantee it.
                    Your Welcome! 8)

Comment

Working...
                    X