Getting my '80 GS850GL on the Road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting my '80 GS850GL on the Road

HELP!!!!!!! I am trying to get my 850 going. I have an "automatic" petcock on this bike. When I put the switch on "run" (12 and 6) I get fuel pumping out of the vaccuum line that is between #1 and #2 only. You can hear it trying to fire, but I don't think it is getting enough gas to fire. I am pretty new when it comes to working on bikes.....I know that the carbs need to be synchronized, but I can't get it started to do that. The carbs have been cleaned, dipped and cleaned again.

Any idea's?[-o<

Sorry, I meant it was flowing gas out of the vent tube between #1 and #2, not vaccuum line!

Comment

Well, it sounds like either #1 or #2 has a stuck float and is overflowing out the vent tube. You might get lucky if you rap the carburetor body with a wooden dowel and a small hammer, just enough to jar the float loose. On the other hand, it might loosen up now, and stick the next time you go to ride.

Best thing to do is to drain the gas out of the carbs, remove them from the bike, turn them over and remove the float bowls carefully, so you don't tear the gaskets. Carefully remove the float pivot pin and the floats. Remove the inlet needle valve. Spray liberally with carb cleaner. Re-assemble and test. Please note that you will have to install the airbox before the carbs will work well. You might be able to fire it up without the airbox, but it certainly won't rev at all.

If this does not fix the problem, it might just be time to tear the carbs completely down and dunk each one of them overnight in carb dip, available for about $15 at your favorite auto parts store. This would also be a good time to install rebuild kits which consist of new jets, o-rings and gaskets. Might also want to consider replacing the o-rings that are between the intake runners and the cylinder head.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve. I was thinking that the carbs may just be to gummed up. I will take them off over the weekend and give them a good cleaning. I saw a good link on the forum on tips for cleaning them and rebuilding them.

What through me for a loop was the automatic petcok valve! This was my first time encountering one!

Thanks again for your help!:-D

Comment

SO? How'd it go?

Comment

Working...
          X