Tachometer removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tachometer removal

Today I got a shop manual for my GS 850, and wouldn't you know it -- tonight the light on my tach went out. I'm thinking -- great, I'll just look up the process in my new manual. According to the manual, to replace the bulb you have to remove the tach which makes perfect sense.

However, according to the manual, removal of the tach also requires the removal of the fuel tank and the headlight. Is this for real???

The manual also fails to provide any bulb number for the lamp. Is this a special lamp that is only available from Suzuki? The manual simply says 12 V 3.4 watts.

Thanks!

The bulb is somewhat special, pn 39471-12001 but it can also be had as a Honda part so check with your dealer Auto type bulbs the glass bulb is too big

Comment

I don't have to remove anything but the tach.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Mine was easy to get to,too!

Comment

I looked at the schematic at BB, and it looks like a standard setup. You have 2 acorn nuts on the bottom of the tach. Remove those and the tach slips up out of the bottom cup. Then the bulbs are on a wire cluster. I recommend replacing all of them while you have it apart.
          What the book probably refers to is completely removing the tach. Then you would have to remove the headlight to unplug the wires. And you may have to remove the tank to disconnect the tach cable. But you don't need to do any of that, you just need access to the bulbs, which plug into the bottom of the tach.
          Hope this helps.

Comment

I got a bulb from my local Schucks auto parts store and it works fine in my instrument cluster. The glass is slightly larger but is otherwise identical and fits fine. Of course that was in the center "idiot lights" area -- maybe the clearances are tighter in the guages, I dunno...

Comment

My tach light hasn't worked since I got it.

I was in a scrapyard and saw a clock set from a GS750 that had been run over. Squashed. I just pulled the still good bulb and Ima try it in the 1000. It's in my pocket this second.

Comment

Working...
              X