Help, are they gsxr 1100 forks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help, are they gsxr 1100 forks?

Just got my forks from ebay and i'm not sure they are as advertised. They fit in ok but the brake calipers I have from a 91 gsxr are not the same bolt pattern or the same size bolt. they bolt up to the 84 gs 1150 ok but not to the 86 gsxr 1100 forks. This doesn't sound right to me. The forks are 41mm and the clip-ons are below the top triple clamp and are 2.5 " shorter than the 1150's. The anti dive has an electronic sensor or something like that because their is a wire that runs to it. Any help would be great to identify these forks.
    Gerry

Gerry,
    Those are the '86 and '87 Gixxer forks. The wire to the anti-dive gets hooked up to the front brake switch. You will probably have to use calipers from those years. I know that's not what you want to hear. If you check the axle diameter and the length of the part that fits between the bearings I can tell you if there's a chance of the later 17" wheels fitting.

Comment

Well that all makes sense, that is what I bought an 86/7 front end. I should have done more research before I put both feet in. I read in one of your posts that is easier to start with a complete front end wheel and all. This is what I should have done. At this point it might be easer to cut my loss and get a 89 front end. That way I get the 17" front wheel, use the brake calipers I have and correct me if I am wrong but there is no anti-dive.

The axle is 9/16" and the distance between the forks is 6 3/8". I don't have any spacers just the axle. If the 17" wheel will fit and I get different brakes this will probably be the cheapest way to go but is it the best? Will the 89 front end have longer forks or does that matter all that much with putting a 17" wheel instead of the 16" that is on it now? Lots of questions eh!!

This all started because I wanted to upgrade my brakes and I thought why not the front end. I have lots of time right now I'm layed off for a few months.

Anyway, thanks for the input Billy and any more info you can give me is greatly appreciated

Gerry

Comment

I can't give you much info on the forks you have right now, but if you would like any measurements on a 93 gsxr1100 inverted fork setup I can give that to you. One of the nice things about these are that you can use the 6 pot brakes. I fit some 1300 Hyabusa on mine with no problems. Makes sense though - why mess with the bolt patterns?

Comment

Gerry,
          You will lose some ride heighth with any Gixxer front end. But, they have less travel than the GS front ends so it isn't that big of a deal and preload adjusters help keep from dragging anything. They didn't need as much travel since radials help soak up the bumps. Just don't get an '88 front end, they were the shortest of those between '88-'90. And the 1100 front ends are supposed to be a little longer. You can always resell the '86-'87 on Ebay. When you get the front end you want let me know and I'll explain how to set up the sag if you haven't already seen any of my posts on that.

Comment

Thanks once again for the great info Billy,

I found a set of 87 brakes on ebay. If all the front ends are all about the same height (except for the 88 ) I might just work with this one. Only because it's here and there is a chance the 17" wheel will fit.

Hey Swanny thanks for the offer but I'm not sure I want an inverted front end, Not that it's a bad thing but if I did that it would mean a different swing-arm for the bigger rubber. My swing-arm is aluminum with a mono fox shock. A 130 rear and with a new front end I hopping for a 120 front. I'm not a real aggressive rider (41 years young) just like to have some fun. Your boy is going to have a blast on the monster your building. No fear at that age.
            Gerry

Comment

Gerry,
              I dug out some old magazines with tests on the early Gixxers. They use the same diameter, 310mm, as the '88-'90 models so you may be in luck. I also measured the distance between the legs for the axle on my bike, looks to be about 6 3/4". That could be a hitch for you. Not sure of axle diameter, but it is likely the same since they both used hollow axles. The axle on my bike doesn't have any spacers, the axle itself is two different diameters so it serves as its own spacer. The speedo drive serves as the spacer on the left side. But, if you haven't already won the calipers it might be time to bite the bullet and opt for a later front end. You can always list the one you have on Ebay. Just set a reserve price to recoup what you have in it. If it doesn't sell right away you can relist it at no cost.

Comment

Gerry,
                That 6 3/4" was down where the axle fits. I measured further up where the calipers bolt on and got about 6 1/4" so you may be okay. If you get to wanting a 3 spoke rear to match the front I have a 3.5" Katana 600 that will work for you. You will need a caliper, hanger, and spacers for the Kat. You can knock the bearings out of your wheel and install them in the Kat wheel. It's got the rotor and a good 140 Dunlop Sportmax radial on the wheel. It's not going anywhere so you can consider it later.

Comment

Thanks Billy,

I think I will look for an 89 set up , just makes life easyer. I have a set of carbs I could list on ebay as well.

The rim is definitely the way I want to go but not until the front end is done. It will look bad with 1150 rear and the gsxr font Maybe you could let me know what you want for it . tgbisson@msn.com

Thanks once again Gerry

Comment

Hello guys I have a 1986 GS550ES that I swapped a 89? or 90? GSXR 1100 front end with GSXR600 brakes(2000). still have the stock rear setup and boy it does look funny with the skinny back and fat front.
                    If Gerry doesn't want the rear wheel I may be interested, Billy.
                    Does any1 know when GSXRs went to cartridge forks? or a good way to pinpoint what year the forks are. I sure could use a fairing mount for a 90 GSXR also. This is the best spot on the web. You all are the best and my bike would not be this far without you

Ride smart. Ride well.

KRASH

Comment

Originally posted by krash
                      If Gerry doesn't want the rear wheel I may be interested, Billy.
                      Does any1 know when GSXRs went to cartridge forks?
                      The cartridge forks were used from '88-'90. The '88 were about an inch shorter than the other years. After that they went to inverted front ends. The inverted forks may be a cartridge design as well. The idea is to keep the oil and gas charge seperated to keep bubbles out of the oil. That way the front end stays more consistent when big demands are put on it.

On the wheel, let's give Gerry all the time he needs to mull it over. He's got several options. I know which one is easiest and gives the most bang for the buck. The 4.5" wheel is it. You can run a 160/60 and it is an easy conversion. He already has a great shock to work with. For you on the 550 the 3.5" makes more sense. It's about the smallest wheel you can run with radial tires. And anything bigger might be too tight.

Comment

No problem. Like I said if he decides not to get it.
                        I have a polished '94 GSXR swing arm but I thought it might not be worth the conversion since it came bare xcept for the axle adjusters. Too much other stuff to source in order to complete it. decided to look for a more modern engine for a horspower boost first. Definitely would look the bizz though. But with that front tire I may need to do something easy to go to more modern, larger rubber.

Comment

Working...
                        X