Where's this oil leak coming from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where's this oil leak coming from?

Dripping from where the shaft meets the engine, underneath the boot. Get a few drops on the garage floor after a ride. I was thinking that it must be coming from the secondary gear oil, since it's right there, but the oil that drips out is real black and dirty, not clean and clear like the new gear oil I put in a month ago. I need to relace a gasket I know, but until I do I don't want to risk damaging anything in there from lack of lubrication. Why is the drip filthy when I've got fresh clean oil in there? Is there another place where I should be maintaining an oil level besides the first and secondary gear oils and engine oil (all three are fresh and clean)?

if it is coming from the boot it is going to be gear oil, I can't tell you why it is black but mine does it.

check the level and see if it is strangely well over full.
    this will indicate a contamination issue, I have had problems with water getting drawn into the secondary gearbox via some vent of some sort when riding in the rain.

also if the internal seal between transmission and secondary fails, engine oil can get in.

Comment

Check your engine oil level, too. If it's too full, it can blow out at the top and will drip down the left side when the bike is parked on its sidestand.

Comment

Remove the four screw cover around the shift lever, where the shifter shaft enters the case you will find the likely culprit; a leaking shifter rod seal. It is a bit of a pain to remove but easy to replace with a new one. Did mine a month or so ago and no more leaks. Good luck.

Comment

Another possibility is the O ring on the starter !! It will leak down thru the engine drain to the bottom of the engine

Comment

Thanks for the input...it's definitely coming from inside the boot, maybe elseware too I guess but if so it's not noticable. I did push the boot back to look inside a while back, and was able to tighten down the three bolts a tad, and that slowed it down a good bit, but didn't stop it. I know the oil pan gasket drips ever so slightly too. Sound like as long as I keep an eye on oil levels for now I don't run the risk of any under-lubrication damage.

Comment

nope just a messy garage floor. hehe

I have run bikes like that for a long time. just keep an eye on the fluids and make sure it can't spray on the mufflers. Hot oil can = boom. boom

Comment

Lucky me the leak's on the left and the 4-1 exhaust goes to the right...

Comment

Working...
                X