bike won't start, keeps turning over...but no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bike won't start, keeps turning over...but no start

My 82 GS650 kept cranking and cranking(up till the point where I stopped for fear of killing the starter) in the cold. I have a ride tomorrow morning at 10 and need some ideas on a way to "help" it kick over...

any suggestions?

yes, there is plenty of gas

Fuel + Air + Spark + Compression = Fire
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

plugs wet?

I'm betting not... turn your petcock to reserve... fill the carb bowls
      1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

like these guys are saying.

If I am desperate I go too new plugs.

If that does't work I use a syringe too add gas manually to the outside plugs first. Then screw em back in.

If I am afraid of a battery not giving her the juice. I hook up a car battery on the floor and jump it from that.

Good luck, been down that road before.

Comment

Try a quick shot of starting fluid...

Comment

Originally posted by brveagle View Post
            plugs wet?

I'm betting not... turn your petcock to reserve... fill the carb bowls
            or Prime (the 1100ED has a Prime on the petcock I assume your does too)

Either way don't forget to turn it back to Run once you get going again.

Comment

Failing that make sure you have a spark. Does it even attempt to fire?

Comment

Originally posted by lord1234 View Post
                My 82 GS650 kept cranking and cranking(up till the point where I stopped for fear of killing the starter) in the cold. I have a ride tomorrow morning at 10 and need some ideas on a way to "help" it kick over...

any suggestions?

yes, there is plenty of gas
                Take a plug out and check for spark. I am assuming it was running fine before this happened, so what changed? Did you flood it? if the plug is wet you can take all of them out and either replace or heat them with a propane torch and put them back in warm and that sometimes helps.

Don't just crank and crank or you will be posting a ? on how to change your starter clutch.

Comment

you make your ride?? get her started yet?

Comment

Working...
                  X