Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you recommend a good touring tyre?

Fellow GSers.
    I've got a '79 GS1000C and can't seem to keep rubber on the beast. I've been running Brigstone Spitfires on both front and rear. But I seem to be replacing the rear tyre every spring. I'm only getting 4-5K mi. out of it. Fortunately the front lasts for two rears.. Any suggestions? I think I only put 4-6K on the bike last year, 1K in one day, but that's another story.

Thanks,
    Mtngoat

Re: Can you recommend a good touring tyre?

I have a Metzler ME55 on the rear of my 750 with about 4000 miles on the tire and I can barely tell any wear. It handles well, rides nice in the rain and overall, I'm very pleased with it. I will buy another Metzler when it wears out.

Earl

Originally posted by mtngoat
    Fellow GSers.
    I've got a '79 GS1000C and can't seem to keep rubber on the beast. I've been running Brigstone Spitfires on both front and rear. But I seem to be replacing the rear tyre every spring. I'm only getting 4-5K mi. out of it. Fortunately the front lasts for two rears.. Any suggestions? I think I only put 4-6K on the bike last year, 1K in one day, but that's another story.

Thanks,
    Mtngoat
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

I have a dunlop K491 eliteII on the rear of my 1000g and getting very good mileage out of it, two years old and srill have lots of tread left.
      longest lasting tire I have found sofar, and good wet weather traction.

Comment

Ditto on the Dunlop K491s. I have them on the front and back. Best tires I've bought. Taste great and less filling 8O !

Comment

Ditto again on the Dunlop K491 Elite II's. Great tires!

Comment

I have run the Spitfires for many years now('79GS1000e)and get constant
            7-8,000 mi. RR,and 15-18,000 front. All kinds of riding,freeway,canyons,
            city. Are you keeping close to 35 lbs air pressure? Tire pressure is critical,
            and can drop quicker than you think. Also,are you're wheel bearings good?
            I have heard the Dunlop K 491 gets about 10-15% better mileage,and costs about 20% more. Both are good tires though. I'm surprised by your poor mileage,must be a reason, it's NOT the tires. KK.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

You guys are lucky with all the choices in rear tires! The '80 GS550 uses a 120/70/17. Goofy size...find all the 130/70/17s you want no room in the swingarm for it tho'. Cheng Shin, IRC, and that's about it. Avon and Dunlop used to make 'em but not anymore Get about 5000 miles out of a Cheng Shin Marquis tire...take it easy in the wet! Concours also has unique sizes :roll: . Dunlop still supports this bike tho!

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                I have a Metzler ME55 on the rear of my 750 with about 4000 miles on the tire and I can barely tell any wear. It handles well, rides nice in the rain and overall, I'm very pleased with it. I will buy another Metzler when it wears out.
                Earl
                Earl:

I've only got 4,214 miles on my Metzeler ME55A Metronic (130/90-17) and it's just about finished. My two previous ME55A's lasted an average of 5,200 miles. I would think my 1983 GS750ES isn't much harder on tires than your 750, Earl......do you have a ME55, or is it a ME55A? Also, what size are you using. I have heard that there is sometimes a difference in construction/composition details between different sizes of the same model. I must admit that most of my miles are 2-up and perhaps that makes the tire run hotter. However, I use 40 psi when carryng a passenger and I would think that average temps are lower in Colorado than Florida.

The longest lasting rear tire I have fitted to my GS750ES was a Pirelli Phantom Supertouring MT58 in 130/90-H17 (68H) size. This tire did 8,600 miles with reasonable grip and handling. However, I bought it in 1986 and it may no longer be available.

Comment

Simon, I just went and checked the odometer and I have 3783 miles on the rear tire. Its a 130/90/18. Most of Florida riding is straight up and down as we have few twisties. I double checked the wear and it is showing a centerline band of wear that is about 3/4" wide. When new, the crossection was round, now the centerline has a slight flat band, but the tread depth is still about the same as it was when new. Originally, I was going to order a ME55, but looking at the tire reminded me that I had changed my mind and bought the ME88 because it was a dual compound tread design with a hard center mated to softer sidetreads. I usually ride solo and keep tire pressure at 26-28 psi.
                  It could be Simon, that I am just not the crazed hot dog on the bike that you are. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Simon Waters
                  Earl:

I've only got 4,214 miles on my Metzeler ME55A Metronic (130/90-17) and it's just about finished. My two previous ME55A's lasted an average of 5,200 miles. I would think my 1983 GS750ES isn't much harder on tires than your 750, Earl......do you have a ME55, or is it a ME55A? Also, what size are you using. I have heard that there is sometimes a difference in construction/composition details between different sizes of the same model. I must admit that most of my miles are 2-up and perhaps that makes the tire run hotter. However, I use 40 psi when carryng a passenger and I would think that average temps are lower in Colorado than Florida.

The longest lasting rear tire I have fitted to my GS750ES was a Pirelli Phantom Supertouring MT58 in 130/90-H17 (68H) size. This tire did 8,600 miles with reasonable grip and handling. However, I bought it in 1986 and it may no longer be available.
                  Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Good thinking about the ME88, Earl. I'll have to think about them, if they are available in a 17" size. I really like the ME55A for its all around qualities, except for mileage. I have used the ME99 years ago, but I think that the ME55A was essentially a replacement for it. Perhaps, I don't need such a sporting tire any more as I decline gently into "old f@rtdom". Naw.....I still enjoy the plentiful twisties up here and the rubber is cheaper than extensive repairs and medical bills.

Comment

Tire choices......

Hi ya all!!!
                      I tend to agree with Keith as there tends to be a discrepency with mileage from bike to bike with identical tires.
                      I would think that a loss of tire pressure if it occurs slowly over time we would tend to NOT notice it. Unfortunately most tend to just look at our tires, seeing they 'look' OK and ride off. It's allways best to measure them every two weeks or so just to be sure.
                      I'm having good luck with my Michelin Macadams on my 1150, with some 2K+ now, I can't even tell of any wear.
                      A note on the 88s'.
                      I was following two bikes once on a mountain ride and the lead bike went down from loss of traction on his Beemer with a good set of Metzler 88s'.
                      I will always select traction over treadlife, but 4K?. Does'nt add up!
                      Rick......

Comment

Gotta go with the crowd. Dunlop k491 elite. By far the best tire I've ever had on my 850. And the only ones that didn't develop small sidewall cracks. Best wearing tires I've ever seen too. Worst tire I ever had was a Continental "touring" tire. Horrible handling, I don't know how long`the tread lasts since it exploded after 4000 miles. And I do mean exploded.

Comment

In more recent tyres I ran a spitfire, got about 6000miles, but did not like the lack of grip, particulalry on colder road surfaces. I have now gone for a Gt301 Arrowmax Dunlop..heaps of grip, mileage yet to be determined.

I tend to run off the edge of the rear tyre, so perhaps not typical usage! The best mileage (12000miles) I ever got was from a touring elite, good grip as well. I still have it on a 17" rim in the garage as well..that was a few years ago! Worst a Pirelli Phantom, 1200 miles.

I prefer grip to falling over!!

Comment

Re: Tire choices......

Originally posted by Richard Ellis
                            .......I will always select traction over treadlife, but 4K?. Does'nt add up!
                            Rick......
                            I agree with you about traction over tread life, Rick. However, regarding 4K life, I regularly check my pressures (especially when ambient temperature has changed) and still only get about 5K, probably because the tires are "sports" tires. I think that to get significantly over 5K you have to go with a sport-touring, or full touring, tire with the less grippy, harder compound.

Comment

Re: Tire choices......

Originally posted by Simon Waters
                              Originally posted by Richard Ellis
                              .......I will always select traction over treadlife, but 4K?. Does'nt add up!
                              Rick......
                              I agree with you about traction over tread life, Rick. However, regarding 4K life, I regularly check my pressures (especially when ambient temperature has changed) and still only get about 5K, probably because the tires are "sports" tires. I think that to get significantly over 5K you have to go with a sport-touring, or full touring, tire with the less grippy, harder compound.
                              I think that is the advantage of the ME88, Simon. With the harder mid-tread, you get longer distance/longer wear, while the softer side treads give you better cornering.

I have Me55/front ME88/rear and have no real complaint with them....except they ain't so great on snow or ice. To be fair, they have done no wrong on snow or ice. I have not gone down, nor have I taken any wild slides, but the side wind blew me from one lane into another when riding on blowing-snow as it turned to ice, and I was not pleased with that. There was no sensation to it....I just went sideways.

To continue being fair...most bike riders, including GSR members, will never have this experience, as they will not be riding in those conditions.

If you happen to want these tires you will only be able to buy from existing stock, as Metzeler has replaced it with ME880...an improved version.
                              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
                              X