Ignition Timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition Timing

GS1100GLD: What is the ignition timing supposed to be. How is it checked?

83 Base timing should be checked with a timing light ALL advance functions are controled by the ign module

Comment

Originally posted by mixongw View Post
      GS1100GLD: What is the ignition timing supposed to be. How is it checked?
      If it's like the '83 850, it's 17 degrees BTDC below 1500 RPM & 37 degrees BTDC at 2350 RPM and above. Check it with a timing light using the "F" mark for cylinders 1&4. Hook the light up to plug wire on #1 cylinder.

Check http://www.bwringer.com/gs/tdc.html for a picture of the ignition rotor. See the photo for "Later Electronic Ignition Models". In this case use the mark that's on the rotor tab just "northwest" of the "F". At idle, the mark should line up at the "trigger". At 2500 RPM, the the "F" mark should be below the trigger by 20 degrees. For reference, the TDC mark (not the "T") and the "F" mark are 17 degrees apart.

Hope this helps. The engines are practically identical.
      Last edited by Guest; 09-16-2006, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Why, this is odd. I have the factory shop manual. In it, it lists the GS1100G timing as:
        17 degrees BTDC below 1500rpm
        37 degrees BTDC aboue 2350
        BUT, the supplementary service section for the GS100GLZ (82) and GLD (83) shows:
        13 degrees BTDC below 1500rpm
        33 degrees BTDC above 2350
        Interesting. Don't know why there's a difference.
        1982 GS1100GLZ Sold but still loved
        2008 Bandit 1250 Crashed (cager on a cell phone)
        2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Schlosser View Post
          Why, this is odd. I have the factory shop manual. In it, it lists the GS1100G timing as:
          17 degrees BTDC below 1500rpm
          37 degrees BTDC aboue 2350
          BUT, the supplementary service section for the GS100GLZ (82) and GLD (83) shows:
          13 degrees BTDC below 1500rpm
          33 degrees BTDC above 2350
          Interesting. Don't know why there's a difference.
          I wonder if it's a typo? The GS 850GLZ and GLD specs show 17 and 37 degrees BTDC.

Comment

Hi,
            I have a 1980 V plate GS550ET with a Boyer Bransden Electronic Ignition System fitted, and i am not to sure if i have set up the ignition properly. According to the instruction you set it up to the TDC mark first then warm the engine and ignition unit for 5 mins then rev her up to 4500rpm and advance to the 'F' mark. Unfortunatelly this seems to be impossible as it just won't go that far round.
            Any ideas as to what i may not be doing wrong here?

Cheers

Comment

Working...
            X