Just got GS1150ES,questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got GS1150ES,questions...

Hey GS er's , I just picked up this '85 GS1150ES for next to nothing, I'm going to set it up as a sport touring bike , I had keys made cause it had none , checked by carbs out and they were clean , got a new clutch cable , changed the oil and filter , got some body parts off ebay and registered and insured it . But i have a many questions and a few issues of concern, the bike had no gas cap but it did have half of one , doesnt look anything like the one in the micro-fiche and I even got an extra tank with a cap from a '84 but the inside of the cap was to small for my tank , i have na older gs cap with a key but its square and doesnt go in all the way ,and then what about doing the chain conversion to the 530 chain ? is this good or not really ? and should I get any kind of steering damper ? thanks people -Aaron in San Jose

The fuel caps for the 84 and 85 are the same. You can still get one from Suzuki, but they want a ton for it (85.00 at alpha sports). Are you getting some head shake? You shouldn't need a steering damper, just check your steering head nut. As for the chain conversion... it will lighten up your bike, but again, not really neccessary.
    The 1150's are great bikes with a ton of power. They are a bit sensitive to tuning, but once dialed in they run and handle great.

P.S. If you need a good pic of the gas cap let me know.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

No steering damper necessary, just tighten up the head bearing nuts a bit: I used to be able to let go with both hands and lift my helmet visor and still track straight. Since I got my steering head bearings replaced, I guess they used the minimum torque setting, coz the slightest bump will set up a wobble. I'm planning on tightening them up a bit...

p.s. I find the best way to lose the wobble is to hold on tight, and give 'er a little gas; this unloads the front end a bit and lets you straighten it up. However, if anyone has any better tips than that, I'd like to hear it.

Comment

Thanks guys for the info , I was just asking about a steering damper cause the front end felt heavy , I thought it might help on slow turns in the city , It doesnt vibrate or anything , I got the cap from the '84 but its to small on the part that goes into the tank , I'll post some pics of it . and if anyone can post a pic of the '85 cap that would be great . I worked a bit on the bike today and I'm just going to buy a new chain for now , how are EK chains? the one thats on it has the o rings but it needs replacement. This is my first Suzuki and the biggest bike I have owned , it really cruises on the road . I love it -

Last edited by Guest; 09-18-2006, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by asbjones View Post
          if anyone can post a pic of the '85 cap that would be great
          Here ya go... from my '85:

click to enlarge

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Back wheel?

I don't want to hi-jack your thread, but since you're all here... just wondering if anyone has a stock back wheel from this bike that they might want to part with? I'm looking for a 17 x 3.5" to widen the back end of my 83 750 ES. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by asbjones View Post
              This is my first Suzuki and the biggest bike I have owned , it really cruises on the road . I love it -

Man, that bike looks big in that little truck!!
              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Hehe, that's what I thinking! Great looking bike! Share more picts!

Comment

The GS 1150's came with one of two different styles of gas caps. One like the one shown in the pic from renobruce with the little flip up latch, so you could use the cap without the key, and the other, much like most other GS's, so you had to use the key to get it off or put it on. The cap not pictured is round, black, and has nothing but a key slot & an arrow pointing foreward so you can see the direction to put it on. I have a GS 1150 ES the same color as yours, it is a 1986 model, & has the gas cap that has no flip up latch, My other 1150 is an "85" E, and has the cap with the flip up latch. Great looking bike. Windscreen looks pretty 20 yr oldish, if interested you may want to check out www.bikescreen.com Congrads
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Cool , I should have pics of my caps tommarow, yea it needs a windsheild and the side farings , I saw them on that site before , very cool site ,my truck is a '80 VW Rabbit truck , its has air shocks in the back so I can load it up pretty good , I think the GS is the heaviest so far , still needs front brake pads and a chain , as I did find out today my chain is a 530 , someone before must have converted it , does 114 links sound right for the 530 on this bike? I need a rear tire , front is a good Metzler , and paint cause I have red and white , blue and white and solid blue going on . Whats the brightest headlight bulb to pop in there ? thanks Guys!

Comment

Tank slapping 1150 are due to abuse, plain and simple.
                      You will find that careful set-up and maintenece is required, or it will bite back badly.
                      1150's like fresh rubber for a start, in fact most "wobbles" happen due to a worn rear tyre. Steering head bearing condition & tension is important.
                      Check it out for a problem, carefully and thoroughly. It should not "feel" heavy in the steering; or is it just a matter of getting used to the size & weight of the bike?? take the fairing off and do a lap of the block, incredible difference I found, It didn't change anything it was only a matter of my perception of it.

dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink View Post
                        1150's like fresh rubber for a start, in fact most "wobbles" happen due to a worn rear tyre.

dink

Why is that?

Comment

As you know most rear tyres wear to a flatter profile.
                          This flatter profile is worn at a slight angle ( highway design regs call for a 3% camber from the crown of the road) this allows for an amount of "walking" on a lesser road in particular (i.e. with less camber from the crown) it allows the rear tyre through it's broader contact patch; and therefore higher traction, as well as the fact that engine power increases this effect.
                          Add in a fast reacting 16" wheel with lees gyroscopic force to be overcome, you may get an idea why "wobbles" come from the rear.

Dink
                          I claim no scientific qualification, if I can be proved wrong , then I am wrong.
                          This my opinion based on observation, experience & thought.

Comment

so here are my pics of the caps, I have the older GS cap on my bike , the cap from an '84 , and 1/2 of a cap that was on the bike when I got it , the cap I use fits but does not go in all the way cause its top is square and the key doesnt come out when its in the tank , the cap from the '84 is to small on the inside -

<b>
                            Last edited by Guest; 09-21-2006, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Is your front tire a 120/80/16? Folks seemed to put this size on these bikes.

I went back to a stock dimension at least for the 84 110/90/16. The front feels less vague and more planted. Doesn't feel like a caveman club anymore.
                              GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Working...
                              X