Metal specs in oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal specs in oil

I've had my '83 GS850L for about a month. Yesterday I changed the oil and filter. When I wiped the filter cavity with a rag, I noticed small metal flakes on the rag. 8-O I'm a newbie to motorcycles, but I'm guessing that this probably isn't a good thing. Should I be concerned?

Possibly related to this is a noise that the bike has made on 2 occasions. Most of my riding is relatively short distance. However I have on 2 occasions taken it out on much longer rides. In each case, I was nearing the end of a 50-70 mile ride and was starting down the rather steep hill into town. I was in 5th and let off the throttle and was treated to a rather unsettling grinding noise. I applied throttle, and the noise immediately stopped.

I'm a firm believer in "if it hurts -- don't do it", so I do not let the engine brake in 5th after a long run any more -- and I haven't heard that noise again.

Could this noise be related to the metal flakes found in the oil? Do I need to be concerned about this noise - or is modifying my riding technique to avoid the problem a sufficient solution?

When was the oil filter last changed????

Perhaps it was completely clogged and bypassing? Then any metal particles would be there for you to see. Now that you new filter has been there a while check again, hopefully there won't be any.
    As far as the noise goes, I would guess a cam chain could sound like that, if it is not at the correct tension.
    It doesn't seem like much else in the engine could act like that.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

metal flakes

yeah thats not a good thing at all. it could be a number of things but the way it sounds it could possibly be a bearing fixing to go out. whether it be a crank bearing or in the tranny. so it would be cheaper to fix now that if it locks the engine up completely cause it will cause alot of damage.

Comment

Did you try a magnet to see if they were steel or aluminum?

Comment

Magnet

No, I didn't try that. Next time I do an oil change, if the flakes are present again, I'll give that a try.

Comment

I'd put money on aluminum. This happened to me on my 83, freaked me out pretty good. It ended up being the clutch pressure plate which looked flawed in it's casting, so the machined surface wasn't smooth. Flakes of aluminium were coming off that with the wear of the clutch. But check the entire clutch, if you have the infamous GS clutch rattle, it's possible that wear is happening there.

I would check that first and then open up the head. I'd say that beyond the clutch, the next big area of concern would be the cam seats. If there has been any oil starvation in the head, the seats can gall in a very short time.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Okay, I didn't want to admit this but IF you have had the clutch cover off lately and if you're not very observant (like me) you can put a slightly longer screw in the clutch cover hole just to the rear of the points cover. On my 1978 GS1000 this hole run right into the tips of the clutch basket. Don't ask me how I found this out.

Comment

Working...
              X