Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Changes

Ok,
    the only reason I am asking is because I still have not obtained a service manual. I am bidding on one on e-bay right now...

I want to change the oil both in the shaft drive and the engine oil on my 1980 GS850G. I am sure I have found the drain plug for the engine right underneath the case, it's a big plug. However, I have only found two plugs for the shaft drive and both are at the bell housing at the reat wheel. One is a drain and the other is obviously to fill. So I have the following questions about proceeding:

1.) Are there any more plugs for the shaft drive? Is there one closer to the engine?

2.) When I fill the shaft drive with gear oil, either how much do I use or do I fill to a certain point?

3.) Is there an oil filter on this bike?

4.) Does anyone have any reccomendations for anything I do special for this bike. It has been sitting for a couple of years. (I.e. flush and fill, double change, etc...)

Thanks Again. Everyone has been very helpful!

I have an 82 1100G, shaft drive also, On mine, at the rear wheel there is 2 plugs. The bigger one is for filling the gear-oil, the farthest one back and a little down from the other is the check plug, after you fill it you can remove the other plug and see if it just barely starts to ease out. Then it is full. Same for the front by the engine. I think this is correct, I can't remember exactly. I am away from the bike so I am not 100% sure. Can check for you later when I get home.

Ask Nick Diaz, He will know for sure.

Michael

Comment

Yes, you have an oil filter, and I think it should be under a cover on the front of the engine between the headers. 3 bolts hold it on and it has a big drain plug in it. I'm hoping it's the same as my 700, I'm assuming it's close.

Comment

When you change the filter, spend the extra couple of bucks and get a new o-ring for the filter cover.
        As far as the rear end, use a 90W Hypoid gear oil.
        1982 GS1100GLZ Sold but still loved
        2008 Bandit 1250 Crashed (cager on a cell phone)
        2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

If you get the K&N, it comes with the O ring, and I think it was cheaper too. I get them thru http://www.denniskirk.com

Comment

from what I have seen, everybody BUT suzuki, include a new o-ring with the filter, AND are cheaper! there are two gear box's used on the shafties, one is the final drive at the rear wheel, drain plug is on the bottom, the fill plug is on the side near the top.
            fill it to the bottom of the treads.
            you will also have a secondary gear box on the left rear of the engine, behind the cover that the shift shaft comes out off, on top you will find a wide shoulder plug, this is for filling, behind the cover (removal is needed) you will see a 19mm plug head at the bottom side, this is the hole for draining it, and about halfway up is a 10mm bolt with a phillips head in it, this is where you check the level.

place the bike on the center stand and remove the 10mm bolt, gear oil should just ooze out of it.

if you need it, I can post a picture of the location of the secondary gear box and its plugs.

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
              you will also have a secondary gear box on the left rear of the engine, behind the cover that the shift shaft comes out off, on top you will find a wide shoulder plug, this is for filling, behind the cover (removal is needed) you will see a 19mm plug head at the bottom side, this is the hole for draining it, and about halfway up is a 10mm bolt with a phillips head in it, this is where you check the level.

if you need it, I can post a picture of the location of the secondary gear box and its plugs.
              I have found everything except for the 10mm bolt and the drain on the engine side...

Comment

It's on the left side of the engine. Take off the cover that is behind the the left engine cover,(like Focus said) below the starter. It is in there.

Michael

Comment

engine oil

Okay this is for the engine oil only, when you pull the drain plug which is the big one under the engine be extremely careful putting it back in as not to strip those threads, and DO NOT over tighten. the oil filter is at the front and is behind a plate, 3-5 nuts hold the plate on, again be careful in tighten these nuts too as they can strip out easy too.

As for the oil filter you can order several from Checker auto parts or any auto parts store that carries Farm oil filters they are cheaper then dealers and denniskirk, besides you dont have to pay for shipping as with denniskirk and have the o rings included, these are Farm oil filters.

I would also recommend going to a synthetic lubs on the bike for both the shaft drive and engine. Synthetics preform much much better then regular oils. I use synthetics for my fork oil, brake fluid (dot 4), and engine oil. Use the correct oil viscosity for your area, I use a syn 10-40 for winter and a syn 20-50 for summer where i live in New Mexico.

Read the oil article GSresources has on its website, very good.

Comment

Oil Changes

Seems like everyone has covered WHERE to change the Shaft-drive oil, i.e., there are TWO locations, one back at the rear wheel and another at the other end of the shaft near the left rear of the engine.

That being known, let me suggest to all with shafties, that they try REDLINE synthetic 75W90 in both of the shaft drive oil locations . Let me also suggest that both be drained when the bike is HOT :twisted: (recently ridden 20 miles+) so that all the old stuff drains out, as this thick oil (actually grease) takes a while to drain, hot or cold, but much faster HOT :twisted: :twisted: .

If you can't find REDLINE synthetic oil products in your local area try www.autoil.com/ click on the "gear oil" section, and tell them jgbloemer@juno.com sent you.....

Comment

from what I have seen, everybody BUT suzuki, include a new o-ring with the filter, AND are cheaper!
                      Unfortunately the filters I can source come with an O-ring for a different motor than mine, say a four valve. Filter is the same, even says it fits my bike on the box, but O-ring is different. This wasn't a one off thing, I've bought a few filters this way, years apart. Guess two valve motors don't exist anymore in their tiny minds.
                      Kevin
                      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Found all of the items too!!

Comment

Originally posted by mcycle-nut
                          from what I have seen, everybody BUT suzuki, include a new o-ring with the filter, AND are cheaper!
                          Unfortunately the filters I can source come with an O-ring for a different motor than mine, say a four valve. Filter is the same, even says it fits my bike on the box, but O-ring is different. This wasn't a one off thing, I've bought a few filters this way, years apart. Guess two valve motors don't exist anymore in their tiny minds.
                          I dont have a problem with my 1000g, its fram part# CS6000 or wix # 24931

Comment

For all those newcommers, Suzuki used to include orings for both the 1000 and the 1100 in the filters, some years ago (80s). As such, I have a selection of 1100 orings. I have not had to replace the oring in the 1000 for..hmmm..years!! A clean, very light wipe of silastic, no leaks. I do have a few spares just in case...

I have owned the bike since 1980.

Comment

Working...
                            X