Request for 79 GS1000 airbox pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Request for 79 GS1000 airbox pics

I just bought a 79 GS1000E. It is a non-runner and although mostly complete, one thing missing is the air filter housing (the underseat one, not the manifold). I was thinking of fabricating one myself - I have studied the parts fiches but it's still not totally clear to me how the filter is held/sealed within the box. I guess it seals directly to the opening that leads to the manifold? But how is the filter element supported and fastened in place? Would someone be so kind as to take some pics, preferably illuminating the interior of the box as much as possible, and email them to me.

Many thanks...
    (I think I have allowed emails in my profile)

1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

On my bike there is a slightly springy metal loop at the rear end of the air filter box that maintains pressure against the filter to keep it pressed up against the hole in the front of the box. The filter sort of snaps into place. I can take a picture tommorow if needed, since I have my seat and tank bracket off already.

Comment

Hope the ones I sent help you out. If you need more let me know. The bike is apart and I get whatever angle you need.

Comment

Got what I needed - many thanks to those who replied...

Comment

Hey I got a question about air filters (since we're on the topic, I dont want to start a new thread).

So I found out last week that my bike doesn't have an air filter (its an '81 GS400L). I got this bike just over a month ago and all this time I've been riding with an empty airbox. Now I'm looking around for an air filter and found this
            Supplying new parts for Vintage Motorcycles! Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha. Old Bike Barn has what you need for your vintage motorcycle project!

which is $90. is this normal price for air filters, or is there something cheaper for my bike?
            Also, what kind of damage could I expect from not having an air filter?

Comment

No, those are the wrong kind of filters. $10 for the right filter here. Your linked filters are pod filters, you need a regular air filter unless you also plan on rejetting.

Not sure about possible damage to your engine, but I can't imagine getting various debris into your carbs would do them a whole lot of good.

Originally posted by Martin_K View Post
              Hey I got a question about air filters (since we're on the topic, I dont want to start a new thread).

So I found out last week that my bike doesn't have an air filter (its an '81 GS400L). I got this bike just over a month ago and all this time I've been riding with an empty airbox. Now I'm looking around for an air filter and found this
              Supplying new parts for Vintage Motorcycles! Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha. Old Bike Barn has what you need for your vintage motorcycle project!

which is $90. is this normal price for air filters, or is there something cheaper for my bike?
              Also, what kind of damage could I expect from not having an air filter?
              Last edited by Guest; 09-28-2006, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X