Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wits end with lower steering bearing race

Hi Guys
    I am in the process of changing the steering head bearings on my Suzuki GS1000E (1979). I have removed the forks and wheel and instruments and cables etc. I have removed the triple clamp and lowered and removed the steering stem. My model utilises the taper roller bearings. I have removed the upper bearing race using a suitable drift through the headstock. Now comes the problem I cannot see how to remove the lower race because it actually sits recessed in the headstock preventing any use of a drift because of no bite from the top. Has anybody any ideas on this one please your help is much appreciated. I am also trying to remove the lower bearing off the steering stem with no success, any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Break the cage and get the rollers off it then torch to heat it up. Hold the whole thing in a vice with blocks of wood and have at it with a drift and hammer. A bench grinder will substitute a torch. Takes 3-5 min and works quite well.

Comment

Thanks Mark
      That worked awesome for removing the bearing from the steering stem, cheers mate. How can I remove that wretched bottom race any ideas friends.

Comment

race

weld a rod across the race so u can hit the rod from thru the top. easy if u had the tools Have fun

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
          weld a rod across the race so u can hit the rod from thru the top. easy if u had the tools Have fun
          Sorry have no access to welding gear at all, is there any other way to remove the lower steering bearing race?

Comment

i was able to hammer a chisel in there and it actually took out the entire bearing. i reused it on a different stem. it took alot of beating in my vise but it eventualy cracked loose.

Comment

Just went throught this with my '79 1000.....
              Used my trusty dremel with a thin cutting wheel. Cut two slots @ 180 degrees from each other in the bearing race, as vertically as possible(top to bottom of race). Use a hardened chisel directly in-line with the cut area, to crack the race into two separate pieces. You shouldn't need to cut all the way through into the steel of the head-stock. Apply a little heat to the lower outside of the head-stock, and the pieces should almost fall out, with a little urging from a thin bladed screw driver. I couldn't see a better way at the time, but I like the idea of welding in a cross-bar to hit against.

Comment

The 1000 must be the only one that has this issue with the lower race because I've never seen anyone else mention having this problem. I was a tool & die maker, and I couldn't imagine what the puller would have to look like, to yank that (tapered roller) bottom race out.
                Hugh

Comment

Originally posted by hp1000s View Post
                  Used my trusty dremel with a thin cutting wheel. Cut two slots @ 180 degrees from each other in the bearing race, as vertically as possible(top to bottom of race). Use a hardened chisel directly in-line with the cut area, to crack the race into two separate pieces. You shouldn't need to cut all the way through into the steel of the head-stock. Apply a little heat to the lower outside of the head-stock, and the pieces should almost fall out, with a little urging from a thin bladed screw driver. I couldn't see a better way at the time, but I like the idea of welding in a cross-bar to hit against.
                  Thanks for that, I am now looking forward to having a bash tomorrow, thanks for renewing my enthusiasm my friend.\\/

Comment

I have a tool for removing the brg races, Haven't tried it yet I will be next week. She decided to **** all over from the carbs so the bike is down for some much needed maintance.
                    Valve adj
                    fork seals
                    Head brgs
                    carb sync

Comment

Originally posted by NitroGS View Post
                      Hi Guys
                      I am in the process of changing the steering head bearings on my Suzuki GS1000E (1979). I have removed the forks and wheel and instruments and cables etc. I have removed the triple clamp and lowered and removed the steering stem. My model utilises the taper roller bearings. I have removed the upper bearing race using a suitable drift through the headstock. Now comes the problem I cannot see how to remove the lower race because it actually sits recessed in the headstock preventing any use of a drift because of no bite from the top. Has anybody any ideas on this one please your help is much appreciated. I am also trying to remove the lower bearing off the steering stem with no success, any suggestions greatly appreciated.
                      Here's some info I did the searching for you:

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

Thanks road clam, it is much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by hp1000s View Post
                          my 83 gs550 was like that....no place to find an edge to use a drift pin.
                          So I did like you said....dremel with a cutting wheel. 2 slots 180 degrees from each other. Then I just used a small chisel to work them loose. worked like a charm.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
                            my 83 gs550 was like that....no place to find an edge to use a drift pin.
                            So I did like you said....dremel with a cutting wheel. 2 slots 180 degrees from each other. Then I just used a small chisel to work them loose. worked like a charm.

Eventually got that the race out used an old flywheel puller with the feet offered up to the lip of the race, inserted a geniune 19mm Suzuki spanner (sod the expense) hard up against the headstock base and screwed the tightening screw fully to take up the tension, the spanner started bending. So I used a drift from above to impact on the spanner and pull the bearings clear (see pic). Thank you everybody for all the help and advice, you are pure gold. \\/ :-D

Comment

Good for you!

Comment

Working...
                              X