Another Regulator/Rectifier for the books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Regulator/Rectifier for the books

Well...... I did it! I bought another brand new R/R for my GS1000. The second in 4 months. Now I am into this charging system for $240.00 smackers. I guess not to bad compared to what some other people on this site have told me. But none the less $240.00. The only thing I have done different this time is run the ground from the R/R directly to the battery. Originally I grounded the R/R to itself where it is mounted. The guy I bought it from told me that a bad ground is the most common way for an R/R to go bad.... even if it is fairly new. Does anybody here agree with this statement? Anyways it seems to be charing fine now.

Thought I would just throw this out to anybody who cares.

Curt

I don't know if it makes makes a difference to ground the r/r to the battery ground but I did the same thing with my new r/r. My thinking was that at least now I know for sure that the thing is grounded properly whereas before I thought that if the ground to the r/r mounts were suspect it might be a problem. So it at least removes one possible source of ground issues. Having said that, the factory manual shows the r/r gound wire connected to the bottom of the r/r for my gs650g. Who knows? Mine works fine now.

Comment

Ya done good! Absolutely ground it to the battery negative terminal. Any other suspect ground problems do the same, and things get much better. Ask me how I know?:-D

Comment

Yes, it IS the right thing to do.

At least part of the reason is that the threads where the unit mounts get rusty over time. That means both increased resistance and a poor ground, which translates into a lost R/R and, too often, a lost stator as well.

It is much better to take the extra step, and avoid known problems.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I also agree. Direct ground. Don't forget dielectric grease!

Comment

Working...
          X