fuel tank cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel tank cleaning

I have a 79 GS1000 the tank has been recently kreemed but I still have some sort of crap in the tank. What is the best way to flush out the tank?

take the fuel tap off and dump what ever fuel is in it into a bucket, whilst you have the tap off open it up and clean it out to. If you leave the fuel in the bucket a day or two you can then sieve it and reuse it in the tank if you have to.
    Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
      take the fuel tap off and dump what ever fuel is in it into a bucket, whilst you have the tap off open it up and clean it out to. If you leave the fuel in the bucket a day or two you can then sieve it and reuse it in the tank if you have to.
      Dink
      Small addition, but vitally important....if you keep the fuel it MUST be kept tightly covered.

Gasoline/petrol tends to give off vapours which will invariably build until they spill over the top of the bucket and fall to the ground or floor.

Unless there is good ventilation AND a constant flow of air to remove them, the highly flammable vapours will pool on the ground, where they can easily collect in sufficient quantity to become explosive.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Then if you have a garage set up like a certain Ambulance service I know of, when the water heater cuts in, boom 8O there go the doors to your bays! :P
        An electric heater was later installed four feet off the floor.

Discard the gas, in a safe manner and fill it up at the gas station. For a few bucks worth of gas, save your garage.

Comment

Working...
        X