ID My Motors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ID My Motors

I bought two running parts bikes with the purpose of putting one of the 1100s in my 78 GS 1000. Can the year and model be identified from the engine numbers? They are as follows:
    GS110X146XXX
    GS110X147XXX
    Iam new to your site and its very helpful in building my scooter.

thanks very much for the help.
    Lyle

Check this link http://www.ozebook.com/compendium/su...nos/engnos.htm
    After 1980 they only list frame numbers. If you can read the frame numbers on your parts bikes it'll be easy to figure out what engines you have.
    Terry

Comment

engine ID

Hey Thanks Terry,
      I dont think the frames go with the engines, or at least one.The link you gave me dont work so I'll hang and see what happens. The reason I asked about the year of the engine is because I did a compression check and the two center cylinders are 0 lbs So I wanted to be kinda sure what year they are before I buy gaskets.
      thanks again
      Lyle

Comment

If it's any help, the engine in my '82 is GS110X145XXX, and the engine in my '83 is GS110X246XXX. I think you may have some '82 engines. Do they look they were painted factory black? If so, they would be '83s. 8-)
        Kevin
        E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
        "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
        Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

The only significant difference you will find as far as parts are the stator rotor and starter gear, easy to tell measure the size of the journal the starter ger rides on.
          The only other difference is the rocker cover gasket, early has no bolt holes on the camchain tunnel, late has four bolts on the camchain tunnel, two at the front and two at the rear.
          All other gaskets and rings etc are interchangable.

Dink

Comment

Engine ID

Thanks to all that replyed. I think I have the answer..:-D

Comment

Working...
            X