Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences between gs850g carburetors VM/CV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differences between gs850g carburetors VM/CV?

Hi, I searched information about swapping newer CV carbs for my '79 gs850g (VM originally).

Are these possible to swap with own rubber boots? What about cables, looks like same?
    I am having some trouble with my gs and I was thinking to get another for spares (model '80).

What about generally VM vs. CV, are those constant velocity carburetors better in use than old VMs?
    Another bike felt like more smooth in operation and more economic while test driving the bike. Of course, mine might be so out of synch (even when it was still 'in condition')..

I currently have some performance problems and wanted to make sure it is not something to do with carbs anyway (must be ignition, but just for sure..)..

The swap will not work... The only way would be use a later model cylinder head that has the bigger ports for the CV carbs

Comment

ok, thanks for the information. Actually I saw one post where someone claimed head to be different, but I thought that they would be identical..

This summer I already bought one complete engine. Carburetors, ignition, starter and alternator was ripped off. How I could identify which model year engine (=head) it is? Engine number.. I must check it when I get back home.
      I was told that it is '79. Those days I did not even thought that I might have trouble attaching carbs on that..

Comment

My VM carbs work great on my 79 GS1000 keep it original. Dan

Comment

The 1979 (VM carbs) had a kick starter, and later models (CV carbs) do not.

I'm pretty sure that the vacuum port for synchronizing the carbs is also different. The port is on the rubber carb boots on later CV carb models, and it's on the cylinder head on 1979 VM carb models.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Yes I have a kick starter on my current engine, but the engine I bought has just a plug on the side of clutch cover where kick start lever would be attached.

Is there anymore even hole/plug on more recent gs850 engines with CVs?

Actually I found that place I bought the engine has not updated their pages yet ( 3 moths or so.. ), so isn't it obviously VM carbs in that picture?\\/

Comment

Working...
            X