Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb swap question

Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone has ever used stock 750 CV carbs on an 1100.
    Both are 1980. My 1100 carbs are wasted, and I have a set of 32's from my old 750 and it would be great if I could get them to work for now until I find something else.

Thanx,
    Paul

they will be 2mm smaller so getting the boots clamped down on them might be difficult.

also you will have to totaly rejet the 750 carbs to get them to work right.

Comment

Thank You for the reply.

I had expected to rejet. I had already startesd messing with them when I first posted. Was hoping some one had done this swap before to help with some base info to go on.

They are on now. Boots clamped down good, I'll check for leaks tomorrow.
      The jetting has been a nightmare but I have it pretty close I think.
      To make matters worse the engine is 1168cc with Pod filters and a V/H 4 into 1.
      Had to swap out parts from the 34mm carbs.

Comment

If you can get it to work great. But I'd get some 34mm off Ebay and go with the right carbs. Your intake boots will probably leak in the long run. Plus I don't think they will allow enough air flow for the 1100.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Weather they are 32 or 34 mm it's the outside diameter it is the same so they will fit.. You will loose top end

Comment

reverse

I'm actually trying to do the reverse. I've got a set of carbs off of an 1100 trying to fit them to the 750. Not sure it's gonna work. Called a few places, found out what sizes were in a Stage 3 kit and swapped in a set I had laying around. Running pods and a V&H 4-1 w/no baffles. I'm probably going to have hell with the jetting since they are larger carbs, that's why I went with a Stage 3 for the 750 carbs instead of the 1100. Guess we'll see when I get her ready to crank!

Comment

Thanks again for the replies

I'm still playing around with the jetting. first too lean then to rich,then the bottom then the top....... Crap there goes the mid!!! OH well wouldn't be so bad but each time I change something and take a quick test run I either have to go back to work, It starts to rain, or my nieghbors temper's are as hot as my megaphone.

Any how its getting closer each time. A flat spot here and a burble there, but its pulling pretty strong. I'd say its pulling clean through about 90% of the rev range now. Just one burbly spot around 5 thou if you pin her WO. Not so bad if you roll it on slow. Actually running better than it did with the 34's. The top feels like it should be fine for the street.
              As far as the intake boots, They aren't leaking yet but if/when they do I will try the ones off the 750. But by then maybe I will have different carbs. Winter is closing in quick.

Comment

Increased displacement/freer flowing filters and smaller carbs is going backwards and asking for a headache at the least. You're completely defeating the purpose of the larger pistons and the pod filters.
                Without getting into the technicalities, your set up just isn't "matched" well and you'll have issues no matter how you re-jet. Even if you think you've got it running decent, it really won't be performing anywhere near it's ability.
                Get the same size or larger carbs.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Does anyone here have a 750 w/pod filters and a 4-1 exhaust w/no baffles? (mine came with no baffles, btw) If so, what jets are you running? I'd like to get mine as near as possible before the dreaded "tuning" stage. Gotta get me one of those Colortunes, but all of them I find are 14mm and I'm running 12mm plugs.

Also, what difference in jetting (up or down) would there be with the carbs off of an 1100?

Comment

Keith,
                    Thank you for your input.
                    I understand and agree with what you say. My hope is/was to get it running good enough, with what I had, to get some fall riding in before the snow flies around here.
                    I recieved a message from another site member and he has a set of 34's I might get. Then over the winter I will explore other options.

Comment

Well I got her runnin good across the whole range now. Only slightly lean right off idle. probly go up 1 on the pilot jet and should be good.
                      I know its not at its full potential, but I'm on the road again.
                      Will get Flat Slides as soon as funds are better or an unpassible deal comes 'round.
                      Pulls strong through the mid, and no problem getting triple digits.
                      Fine for the mountain/country roads I ride for now.

txironhead,
                      How's it going? Hope you get yours sorted out too. Wish I could help but the 750 I took the carbs from was stock. Good luck.

Comment

Allright. Glad it's running good. Let us know if you need help in the future.
                        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Well, I was close to getting to the point of starting her up, but I just had to fork out $450 for parts for my wife's car (basically all new front suspension on a Camry), so the GS is going to have to wait until my wallet recovers from it's heart attack. Still have to put in the new stator, find a cheap CDI, do the regulator conversion and bolt everything back together. Oh, AND buy a battery. Then maybe I can worry about little things like jetting.

Glad to hear you got yours on the road. Here in Texas, winter doesn't affect riding too much (unless you're a weenie RUB afraid of getting water spots on your new Fat Boy), so I'll still get some riding in this year, hopefully.

Someone on this forum has to have a bike set up similar to mine, so maybe I can get some jetting ideas from them. Thanks anyway!

Comment

tx,
                            Are you looking for a stock igniter box?

Comment

Yep! I need either part #32900-45120 (old #) or #32900-45110 (new #). Everyone here says to scrap it and go with a Dyna ignition, which I would LOVE to do, but there's no way I can afford that, especially now.

Comment

Working...
                              X