Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where are 81 GS450 TSZ carb air screws?

TIA.

I am looking for the cap covers that need to be drilled out for the air screws on the carbs of a GS450 mfg'd in 8/81. I have seen from other threads that these screws are under caps so they couldn't be adjusted but the post that had a picture of where they were doesn't work anymore. Can someone help me out?

What is happening is that the bike starts and runs at 3-4K rpm until it settles down. It will accelerate well in neutral on the stand. After it warms up (5-10 mins), the fast idle goes away. It sounds like it is going rich and then it won't idle at all and dies. It is hard to start at this point.

Things I've done-

Cleaned carbs (not the idle screw circuit) - main and pilots are clear
    One float had many pinholes and fuel - I thought this was my problem - it wasn't
    One of the metal flange/rubber connector from the carb to the cylinder was separated and leaking - I have got heavy RTV sealant in there now for testing - don't believe I am leaking now

Other things-

Choke seems to choke when used
    Compression both sides is 150psi
    Spark seems reasonable
    Both plugs show a rich condition (but never are they wet)
    Carb vent lines are off - this seems to be the hot setup per this forum

Any help / pictures / thoughts / solutions GREATLY appreciated!!

Whoops, TXZ not TSZ

Sorry, this is a TXZ not a TSZ as I posted!

Comment

On top of the carbs right where they enter the intake boots there is a round piece with a very small hole in the center. You drill into the small hole and put a screw in it and pop it out. Under this is the idle adjustment screws so when drilling be careful not to hit the top of the screws with the drillbit.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

re: Where are 81 GS450 TXZ carb air screws

Thanks chef1366 - that got me to the screws! I'm still having issues tho'...

D*mn.

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        On top of the carbs right where they enter the intake boots there is a round piece with a very small hole in the center. You drill into the small hole and put a screw in it and pop it out. Under this is the idle adjustment screws so when drilling be careful not to hit the top of the screws with the drillbit.

Comment

Did you replace the large O-rings that are between the head and the rubber intake pipes (Suzuki terminology)? If not, you need to do so or you will, most likely, get vacuum leaks. BTW, I can send you some if interested.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

O-Rings

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Did you replace the large O-rings that are between the head and the rubber intake pipes (Suzuki terminology)? If not, you need to do so or you will, most likely, get vacuum leaks. BTW, I can send you some if interested.
            Nessism,

I have high-temp RTV on the flange and around the outside of the flange right now instead of new o-rings. I'm going to replace all that RTV crap after I sort this out. I'm doing better but the idle is still hunting and I swear this bike acts like there is a thermostat somewhere (just kidding). There isn't is there? (kidding again)

I do also have oil dripping out of the pipe that runs across the top of the engine into the airbox. Separate issue?

Thanks all, I'm outa here for tonight!

Comment

Working...
            X