E to an L?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E to an L?

What are the primary differences between the 81 GS750E and L? I prefer the cruiser style over the sport style, and basically I want my bike to look like this:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Obvious differences that I see:
    tail section vs. rear fender
    "sport" tank vs. teardrop
    cruiser "bucket" seat vs. sport "bench" (and mounting methods/hardware)
    front rake/fork length slightly different

Is the L model only on shaft drive, or are there chain L's?

I'm sure that there are also final drive ratio, ride height/suspension and jetting differences just to name a few. Maybe I could make my E into a hybrid sport-cruiser?

txironhead
    Last edited by Guest; 09-27-2006, 11:28 PM.

Engine/drivetrain are identical.

Find someone with an L and trade. It would be a shame to destroy an E to make an L. Besides, the frame is different, so you'd have to fab everything up to fit.

Comment

The main thing I want to change is the tail section to a "bobber" style rear fender, the "bucket" seat (like the one in the pic from the first post), and maybe lower it a bit. I was thinking about shorter shocks in the rear (not too short 'cause of the V&H 4-1's) and maybe switching to the L front forks/triple tree. Or if I get brave maybe trying a different make altogether.

Oh, and since my bike was missing the front headlight when I got it, a large round chrome headlight assy instead of the rectangular plastic one. Gotta pull the forks to remove the old mounts, tho......

Comment

Your request is something on the order of converting a Sedan to a convertable. While the guts are the same, the frames are different. You're best off selling the E and buying an L.
        You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
        If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
        1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
        1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
        1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
        1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
        1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Working...
        X